Scary-unusual morning - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-23-2008, 06:43 PM Thread Starter

Scary-unusual morning

This morning was a typical morning in our house. My DD and Hubby were off to school and work. My DS was having his breakfast and I was going around feeding our managerie of critter. The bun's got breakfast- rabbit pellets, hay, carrots and celery. I then went on to the gerbil girls. We have 4 adorable gerbil girls. I was feeding them their mix and threw in a piece of celery. I was watching when out of my eye I see Apollo stand up and proceed to poop on the kitchen floor . He has diarrhea and has his appointment for the T. Foetus test on Mon. Well I jump up, grab the paper towels and lysol wipes hoping beyond all hope I could clean it up fast enough to avoid the smell.

That was wishful thinking. I was in the bathroom looking for the wipes when I hear my son yell....MOM Hersheys is in the gerbil cage. By now I am in panic mode running to the gerbil cage. I get there just in time to see Hersheys jump out with a gerbil in her mouth. AHHHH! I run at her yelling to drop it, which she does but now we have a gerbil on the loose and 3 cats trying to catch it for me. My son grabs Apollo and locks him in his bedroom while I try to fend of Hersheys and catch the escapee. After totally rearranging the furniture in the process I do catch the very scared and slightly injured gerbil. Luckily she escaped with a small cut on her side which I cleaned up and returned her to her sisters. She is doing well.

Dummy me was totally destracted by the poo I forgot to close the gerbil cage. Hmmmm. Maybe that was the plan....Apollo was meant to distract while Hersheys grabbed the goods. I knew Bengals were smart....YIKES!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-23-2008, 06:49 PM
Super Moderator

Those crafty bengals must have stayed up all night plotting and strategizing. And then for Apollo to force himself to poop as a distraction. That's dedication. Those little MacGyvers!

Man, I was trying to read so fast to get to the part where the gerbil was okay! Whew! I had gerbils and hamsters growing up and still have a soft spot in my heart for them.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-23-2008, 06:50 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
That had to be frightening! I'm glad there was a happy ending.

Jeanie

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-23-2008, 08:01 PM
Premier Cat

It must have looked like a Laurel and Hardy show at your house for a while. I am glad that everything turned out ok.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-23-2008, 09:15 PM

I don't mean to frighten you, but even the smallest injuries from a cat can prove fatal in small fuzzies. Please take the gerbil in to an exotic vet and get them placed on systemic antibiotics. Cats have all sorts of nasties in their mouth, including Pasteurella, which will cause sepsis and pneumonia.

I have heard too many horror stories of a small scratch or wound from the cat winding up in the gerbil/bird/rabbit dying. So please take it seriously and take the gerbil to the vet immediately (ie: by tomorrow)!!

P.S. I am a total gerbil lover. I have one of my previous pups as my avatar .
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-23-2008, 11:03 PM
Cool Cat

Oh my, what a morning.
I hope the gerbil will be okay.

I worry how my cats will react to gerbils, especially Cheddar. Bf has 4 of them, and we'll be moving in together in June. I worry about not having cat proofed the cages enough, or that the gerbils will get stressed out having the cats watching them. We would all be heartbroken if one of them became lunch.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-23-2008, 11:20 PM
Cat Addict

Gee! What a way to start the day huh? How scary!
I am so glad the little feller is OK!!
Is the gerbil cage covered? if not, you are going to have to find a lid, those bengals are too smart!!
Are you OK now?

Maria
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-23-2008, 11:24 PM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by queen of the nile
I don't mean to frighten you, but even the smallest injuries from a cat can prove fatal in small fuzzies. Please take the gerbil in to an exotic vet and get them placed on systemic antibiotics. Cats have all sorts of nasties in their mouth, including Pasteurella, which will cause sepsis and pneumonia.

I have heard too many horror stories of a small scratch or wound from the cat winding up in the gerbil/bird/rabbit dying. So please take it seriously and take the gerbil to the vet immediately (ie: by tomorrow)!!

P.S. I am a total gerbil lover. I have one of my previous pups as my avatar .
That is very good information!
You are right cats do carry lots of bacteria in their mouth, when I got attacked by a stray, the wounds were horrendous and VERY deep (so much that it chipped part of my bone!), the Dr place some sticky yellow stuff IN the wood as he couldn't stitch it up because cat's bites are VERY infectious sigh
I hope the little guy is OK!

Maria
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 12:12 AM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. Glinda is ok. She is running around in the wheel and seems no worse for wear. I took her out to look at the wound again and it looks more like some hair got pulled out and a small scrape. I am watching her closely. She got a mealworm treat tonight.

The Gerbil girls live in a 20 gallon long tank with a hinged screen locking lid. The fact Hersheys got in was because of my stupidity. I reacted to Apollo pooing on the floor and in my suprise forgot to close the lid. Suprisingly the gerbils have no fear of the cats. They watch the cats as much as the cats watch them.

Thinking back now the whole thing must have looked very comical. If any neighbors were outside they must think we are crazy people because I had just opened almost every window in the joint.

Here are a few pics of the girls:
Nessa Rose and Glinda

Nessa Rose, Glinda, Elphie

Miss Morrible(Miss M for short)

The offender
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 12:14 AM
Super Moderator

The "offender's" eyes are still set on "stun" so I'd be careful.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page