Some box hiding thoughts? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-26-2008, 01:06 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Some box hiding thoughts?

So, in my current apartment the cat box is in the utility room, by the washer and dryer. (Yeah, I know, but luckily the washer and drier don't seem to bother the cats.)

My new apartment in Iowa isn't going to have a utility room, though. It does have a little closet with the various water heaters, etc. but the more I think about that, the less it seems like a good place to put the box. (For one thing, I'd either have to leave the door ajar or remove the door, replace it with a new one, and then install a cat door in the new one... not appealing.)

However, the new apartment does have a spare bedroom! This is seeming like a better and better place to put the litter box. However, I'd also like to use the spare bedroom myself for non-cat-potty purposes, so having a way of hiding the box seems appealing.

Looking around, it looks like the washrooms everyone around here keeps getting seem like a good alternative. Too small to hold my current litterbox, but I think it would hold the Feline Pine sifting box, which I've been meaning to try.

The color choices are rather unfortunate, though. (Not that I have any real "decor" to speak of, but I prefer natural wood.)

The other possibility I've been considering is getting some sort of cabinet on my next trip to IKEA and cutting a door in it myself. For example, I could get another cabinet like the one that currently holds my TV: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40033763 -- the larger 20" deep version. It's huge, but could easily hold a good-sized box (I think even my current one, turned sideways), the spare bag of litter, with a deep shelf on top for storage for whatever I didn't mind keeping in the same cabinet as a cat box! (Canned cat food, maybe?) And, I could mount a few bookshelf shelves on top of it. The big question would be how to finish the inside so I could wipe up "accidents" -- it's unfinished pine. Contact paper? Are there paints that would accomplish this?

Any thoughts about the advantages/disadvantages of going one way or the other?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-26-2008, 10:26 AM
Cool Cat

I think contact paper would just rip. When a cat has a wall to scratch while it is "covering" its just as likely to scratch the wall as the litter box. Perhaps lining the inside with a laminate similar to what is used on inexpensive counter-tops?
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-26-2008, 10:41 AM
Super Moderator

If you get an IKEA cabinet, I would seal all the joints/seams with silicone. Then they make waterproofing paints for basements...not sure if they work well on wood, but something you can investigate. Several coats of a good shellac would probably work too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page