No more fat kitty :) and some great new toys...! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-26-2008, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

No more fat kitty :) and some great new toys...!

Good news! Gracie's slimming - fewer treats and cutting back just a little on her two meals plus late evening snack. Slow progress, but she's definitely looking less stout and her energy level is higher. Hooray!!

I've also put out a concerted effort to find her some new interactive toys. She's bored with everything except Da Bird, and I wanted something with feathers that would be similar but maybe not quite so intense and obsessive as Da Bird.

Here's what I found that I am so pleased with! Dr. Noy's Pet Toys Swizzle Teaser (the feather one on the right):

And one of Kong brands' new Natural line of cat toys, Crinkle Tail Teaser, looks like a shrimp made of plush on an elastic string (Petco has the whole line, so new yesterday that they weren't even priced yet):

Why I like em!

1) Feathers - always Gracie's hands-down favorite
2) The Swizzle's long plush part is easy for her to grapple with and the feather tip is velcro'ed, looks easy to make your own replacements
3) the Kong brand one is made of pleasing materials, bamboo and thick plush and good quality elastic, so I am not as worried with her mouthing it (i.e. not cheap lead-tainted plastic, etc.)
4) both of them are easy for the human to use ! They don't need as much space as Da Bird or fly around as far, but kitty still gets lots of pouncing and gnawing and all-paws wrestling in

They were both around $6ish. She purred the whole time with the Crinkle Tail teaser, and then promptly dozed off on Hubby's lap while he and Jamie were in the middle of a conversation - a first for Hubby! Everyone's so pleased!

Fran
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-26-2008, 06:30 PM
Premier Cat

Fran, that is so wonderful.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-26-2008, 07:38 PM
Cat Addict

yay for Gracie!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-26-2008, 10:07 PM
Cat Addict

Re: No more fat kitty :) and some great new toys...!

Congrats! That is awesome!!
Did you change her food too? or just the quantity?

Maria
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-26-2008, 11:27 PM
Premier Cat

Thanks for this thread, Fran.
Arianwen was at the vet yesterday. She's a pound overweight and I was here looking for ideas. I want to stabilize her weight, and not have her on an overweight/lose weight rollercoaster.
I'm sure that's as unhealthy for a kitty as it is for a human.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 12:07 AM
Cat Addict

Gunterkat:
What do you feed her? how much, how many times a day?, does she get treats?, if so how many a day, which kind? does she get plenty of exercise?, do you feed her any human food?
Sorry to hear she has gained weight.

Maria
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 12:47 AM
Premier Cat

Doc said a pound isn't a big deal for a kitteh her size. If it's a trend it's not good, though. But she is still growing.
She gets Purina One dry in the morning, treats a few times during the day, and a Fancy Feast 3.5 oz. can for dinner at night.
She plays a lot, too, at 2 years old she still has some kitten in her.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 12:50 AM
Cat Addict

I'd cut off the dry food altogether and increase her canned food intake, perhaps you could switch her to a high quality canned food such as wellness, and add quite a bit of water, WATER intake is very important for weight loss even for cats!
I am glad she plays a lot, she sounds like a real cutie, Would you post pictures of her? I have only seen the one in your avatar

Maria
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 12:58 AM
Premier Cat

She drinks lots of water, and has started drinking more lately. I'm glad she does that on her own, and I encourage her.

I'll post new pics soon. I think there are some old ones in the Forum photo gallery.
My avatar is a random internet kitty, not Arianwen.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 02:13 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Gracie's problem (or to be more precise, Hubby's problem) was the cumulative calories in all the following:
  • big pieces of our all-chicken breakfast sausages,
    up to a tablespoon of grain-free high quality kibble in a rollie ball
    up to a tablespoon of whole milk sneaked during the making of afternoon coffee
    possibly pieces of cheese
    additional unknown human foods!
in addition to three small meals of good canned food and a late evening snack of good canned food.

First we dropped a meal, which confusingly had no result. When we were about to drop a whole additional meal, and I was starting to make noise about loss of vitally necessary nutrition etc. etc. - Hubby confessed! All of this extra food was being negotiated by Hubby and Gracie, while Jamie and I were not home.

So all Gracie gets now is two meals and a snack of good canned food, and a few tiny tippets from Hubby's breakfast sausages only, plus lots of distracting and delightful playtime / exercise whenever she wanders into the kitchen to see what Hubby is doing . It's working, and Hubby especially is seeing that it is just as fun for Gracie to play as it is to eat, plus you can steal tummy rubs more easily if she's tuckered out from all that pouncing and purring.

Live and learn. I am just glad that she's happy and on her way to being lithe again...

Fran
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page