This is NOT fun. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 03:51 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Send a message via AIM to vilate Send a message via Yahoo to vilate
This is NOT fun.

Please, tell me horror stories of cat introductions.

I'm actually not upset by Wyn's reactions at this point. I mean, I can't expect her to be happy about the situation, especially not after only one day. But...

The baby won't shut up. He cries and cries and cries and cries and... well, you get the picture.

I'm seriously about to rip my ears off because it's the saddest, most pathetic thing ever and what can I do about it? Nothing! I'm at a loss at this point.

And I think half of Wyn's issue right now is that she's just annoyed by the crying. I don't blame her but if he's crying all the time, how do I get Wyn to stop being so annoyed by him being here?

*sigh*

Although, now that I've shut the light off in the bathroom and put the pheromone thing back in there, he hasn't said a word. The only problem is that I have to go back at least once so I can use the potty before bed.

Please, If you have similar intro-issue stories, I'd love to hear them.

Wyn is a bad, bad kitteh. Good thing her person is a bad, bad girl... They get along great!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 04:21 AM

maybe the baby needs lots of love and is lonely....does he let you hold him and cuddle him? is he quiet when you do?
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 06:21 AM
Premier Cat

Sounds like the baby is lonely. He's in a new, very strange environment and is probably nervous and scared. Little ones need TONS of love and attention. I'd try to give him some extra attention, as much as you can and make sure he has a cozy spot in there. A nice little bed and warm blankie. Also always food and water.
When I brought Nanook home, he did the same thing. I couldn't take it and let him out within a couple of hours. I was lucky though 'cause he and Little-one hit it off almost instantly.

Victoria
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 10:29 AM
Banned

Well, you asked for it. Sit down and prepare to do some serious reading:

The Little Gray Cat Journal
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Thanks guys.

I'm trying to give him the love and attention he needs, but I also can't be in the bathroom 24/7. Wyn is seriously stressed and I have to be out with her as much as possible, too, because she's getting pretty wild 'n' crazy and isn't eating very well. Granted, Wyn eats better when Beren is quiet, but still. I can't be in the bathroom all the time.

Plus, I work during the day. Kitten is going to be all alone that whole time.

The thing I worry most about is the neighbors hearing and complaining. I haven't told them that I have a cat, let alone two. It would be pretty catastrophic at this point.

I guess I just have to keep plugging away and hoping that baby will get tired of crying.

Wyn is a bad, bad kitteh. Good thing her person is a bad, bad girl... They get along great!
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 01:10 PM
Super Moderator

Wyn is still pretty young right (less than 6 months?) and the baby is 8 weeks? If that's the case, I would probably just let them meet each other and get it over with (unless you have some medical concerns about Beren). Very young cat to little tiny kitten introductions are typically extremely easy. You'll probably have some initial hissing and they'll be playing by the end of the day. Get them playing together with you and Da Bird or some other interactive toy...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
Cat

I'm really afraid to do much. Wyn is still growling a lot and hissing, just seeing the baby through the door. It makes me nervous because she's so much bigger than he is and she doesn't like to even see his little paws.

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 02:37 PM
Super Moderator

Is she attacking or backing away? Does she seem aggressive or fearful? There's going to be hissing and growling no matter how long you keep him cooped up, as long as she's not attacking they need to work it out on their own.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 02:57 PM
Cool Cat

Love him. If you were eight weeks or under, would you want to be locked in a bathroom? For Wyn, the invisible thing screaming under the door is probably scarier than a kitten up front. She doesn't actually KNOW what's screaming in there. If you put a noisy toy in the bathroom, she'd probably hiss at it, too. Take him out, love him, and let Wyn be near by, and love her too so she knows she's not forgotten. I think most adult cats don't actually attack kittens, anyway. It's never happened in my house, or anyone else I know.

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 02:59 PM
Senior Cat

Agreed on the just get it over with thing.

At their ages, I'd take an evening and just WATCH. Order a pizza, and just sit and watch them all night.

The only time we took "slow" intro's was when Elliot was new and sick and he had to get better before he could meet everyone. I find (personally) that just letting the cats get on as they will, has always been the best approach.

Infact, Elliot had to come out EARLY because he stopped eating alone in the bathroom.. he needed other cats.

Edited to say: We did the younger kitten intro to slightly older kitten, and after a few hours of constant HISSHISSSWATRUNHISSHIISSSS! they were playing and snuggling!

Kelly

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page