upsetting journey to work: UPDATE - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
Banned

upsetting journey to work: UPDATE

My mothers cat have always been allowed outdoors. Out of those 30-odd cats she had had only two of them have died before reaching mid teen years (and only one of those cats died outdoors. AND - regardless of age, thats the only cat of my mothers that has died in an outdoor related incident). My Mums neighbourhood is full of indoor/outdoor cats - many of which have been been around for years. Similarly, my neighbourhood is swarming with cats that go outside (I'm personally amazed by the number of cats on my street). I've known these cats for five years and I'm not aware of any of them that have gone missing.

You'd think that being surrounded by so many outdoor cats I'd have seen road fatilities. That I had known cats who had been knocked over and killed. Being passionate about allowing your cat freedom to roam doesnt mean I'm blind to the significant risk of a cat being killed on the road. But I haven't. Not one. In my entire life.

Until today.

On my way to work, on the bus I saw the body of a brown tabby cat in the middle of the road. It was quite obviously dead. I'm sure the entire bus heard my more than audible gasp. I tried Heidis technique of thinking 'I'd have loved you' but all that did was reduce me to tears.

It was just really upsetting, being confronted with a real dead body of a cat in the middle of the road. I hope to goodness someone picks it up and alerts the owners. I would have done so if I'd been able to get off the bus.

I'm not entirely sure where this post is leading other than expressing the fact that the experience left me very shocked. It doesnt stop me from believing cats should be free to roam but its caused me to face this particular risk in a way I'd been fortunate to avoid until now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 10:49 AM
Cool Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to mstx
Unfortunatly I have seen lots of those. Its sad and I wish we could help the cats but the only thing we can do is educate people on how much harm their cats are in when out doors.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstx
Unfortunatly I have seen lots of those. Its sad and I wish we could help the cats but the only thing we can do is educate people on how much harm their cats are in when out doors.
I'm fully aware of the dangers for cats that go outside and I still believe that cats should be allowed freedom to roam. As is my mother and I'm sure many of the other people who allow their cats outdoors. But, I just wanted to express my shock and sadness at seeing the possible consequences of deciding to let your cat roam first hand. Its all very well me sitting in my ivory tower expressing my desire to allow cats out when my cat has to be indoors only (and therefore I don't actually have to take any of the risks involved in letting your cat out) but seeing that .. it was a real 'thump in the stomach'. Hmm. I'm not entirely sure if I'm expressing this correctly. But, in all my 36 years I've never seen a cat dead in the road before. It was very upsetting.

I wish I'd been able to pick the poor little mite up and find the owners so they don't have to wonder why kitty doesnt come home for her dinner tonight. I'm not entirely sure why its hit so hard but I've not been able to get that poor little cat out of my head all day. I'll be going home the same way tonight so if kitty is still there I'll get off at the nearest bus stop and collect up the body and so forth. Perhaps she will be microchipped or have a collar.

I'll be giving Toby lots of extra hugs tonight I can tell you.

RIP little tabby cat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 12:16 PM
Premier Cat

Poor little kitty. You're safe over the Bridge now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 12:43 PM
Premier Cat

I understand how you felt. I'd have loved the brown tabby, too. Very nice to want to collect the little one on your way home. Hopefully its' people will have found him/her and brought them home.

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 12:46 PM
Premier Cat

It is unfortunately, a common thing around here also. There are many farmers around our area, and they all have farm cats that run wild. We see bodies quite often, and it is sad. I'm sorry it was so traumatic for you!
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 12:55 PM
Super Moderator

Poor little kitty, I'm always so sad when I see that.

I think this makes a very good point in the indoor/outdoor debate and the differences between the UK and the US, though Allie. In 36 years, you've never a kitty in a heap on the side of the road, whereas many of us here have seen countless kitties this way. It's a much bigger danger here and that's a huge factor behind the passion for keeping them inside.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlebug
In 36 years, you've never a kitty in a heap on the side of the road, whereas many of us here have seen countless kitties this way. It's a much bigger danger here and that's a huge factor behind the passion for keeping them inside.
Maybe. Maybe not. Perhaps I've just been lucky not to have seen one until now. sigh. To be honest, I always thought any added danger to US kittys was more to do with the wildlife than the road. I could be wrong, but I don't think cats have too many predators here (other than foxes)
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 01:03 PM
Cool Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to mstx
I didnt mean to upset you and I am sorry that the experience was so sad for you. Its amazing here if I dont see at least one body of a dog or cat a day in our town since lots of people just drop thier animals off. Every time I see an animal alive by a road I try and pick them up to take them to a shelter to get them somewhere safe. I am happy that in the UK you dont see it much, wish it was the same here.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstx
I didnt mean to upset you and I am sorry that the experience was so sad for you. Its amazing here if I dont see at least one body of a dog or cat a day in our town since lots of people just drop thier animals off. Every time I see an animal alive by a road I try and pick them up to take them to a shelter to get them somewhere safe. I am happy that in the UK you dont see it much, wish it was the same here.
Dont worry, you didnt really upset me And I'm not so sure that only a few cats in the UK get knocked down by cars - I may have just been very lucky up until now. I always assumed it was a significant risk. Just not seen it first hand before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page