DANDRUFF!! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

DANDRUFF!!

Can anyone tell me a remedy for dandruff on my cats fur. The more I brush the more there is it seems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 05:02 PM
Senior Cat

Well first off what are you feeding said kitty? To treat dandruff on cats I've always believed you have to treat it from the inside out not the other way around.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

dandruff

He is fed Iams carved filets canned food, fish flavor night and morning and Iams dry Hairball formula when ever he wants it.
And I agree that it has to be from the inside, but just don't know what to try. I did have some cod liver oil the vet gave me to add to the canned food, but he didn't like it after a few times and then didn't want to eat it at all. So I don't really want to go that route again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 05:43 PM
Senior Cat

Food like Iams, Science Diet etc are not good quality food at all I wouldn't be surprised if you changed the food to a higher quality one that the dandruff would soon go away.

You can try using vinigar on him, just avoid the head. It's gotten rid of it in some cats adn other cats it hasn't. Flax seed has been known to help dogs, something you could look into for you cat. You can also try a small spoonful of olive oil/sunflower seed oil mixed in the wet food.

There are other causes as well other then added things to the food and changing the food. It could be a health issue, cats with liver problems get dandruff. I'd rule out possible health problems first. If all checks out OK switch the food.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 05:54 PM
Tom Cat

The first thing I would suggest is switching to a high quality wet food. A few brands I recommend are Merrick, Natural Balance, Innova, Evo, Eagle Pack Holistic Selects, Weruva, and Wellness.

Next I would reduce the amount or completely eliminate dry food.
If you can't eliminate the dry food, I would also switch that to a higher quality brand as well.

Katie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 06:45 PM
Tom Cat

If you add any type of oil the only one you should add is salmon oil. while cats cat process some plant oil it is not nearly as much as animal oil. A good salmon oil really helps the skin and coat. Also like some have said try to feed a better food and more wet. Salmon is tastier than cod liver. At least I think so.

Good luck
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 06:52 PM
Senior Cat

Another problem could be that the diet is primarily fish, it's not the best protein for them as most fish lacks many of the things essential to good health in a cat.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the good answers. I will try some other brands of wet food. I had thought Iams was a very good cat food brand and is why I have used it. I have fed chicken instead of fish also, but the dandruff was the same then.

Again, thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page