future cat owner - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 06:07 PM Thread Starter

future cat owner

hi, after tons of debating, i've decided to get a cat. I'm super excited. I've never owned a cat, and only had a dog when I was a kid. I'm hoping to get some help on deciding the kind of cat to get, age, whether to adopt or buy, gender, etc...

I have been reading a lot online but am still not sure of what breed, if I should declaw, and if my tiny 2br apt will be enough space for him/her. I work during the day so i'd be gone from 8am to 6pm most days, will that be too little time to take care of him/her?

so nervous!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 06:59 PM
Senior Cat

I suggest adopting, there are so many kitties that need homes. I also suggest getting two if you will be leaving them alone a lot. Depends on the cat, but I got two for that same reason. Cats don't need CONSTANT attention like dogs but I think one might be lonely if left alone that often. If you do get one I would not get a kitten. They need ALOT of attention!!!

Cats will definitely brighten up your life

I'm sure you will get MANY responses (better than mine) so get ready!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Save a Life, Adopt a Pet.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 07:17 PM
Senior Cat

Welcome!

I agree on getting two, maybe adopting an older pair from a shelter. Everyone overlooks older cats, and especially pairs.

I find the older ones to be more laid-back. Plus, already speutered/shots/etc! AND, if you really want a declawed cat, instead of putting a clawed kitty through the PAINFUL and unneccesary surgery, you can look for a pair that's already declawed!

We've got four cats in a smallish 3 bdrm basement apt. One room is offlimits, and our kitchen/living/dining room are all one room about the size of a large bedroom. So not a big place! LOL They all get on fine. We make sure they have lots of toys, cat furniture, and stimulation (each other help!).

So, anything else, ask specifics. Get your new kitties/kittie on a GOOD canned food, right off the hop, and save lotsa money on vet bills and litter! LOL Also, best litter boxes? Under the bed storage totes!

Kelly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 07:27 PM
Cat Addict

Re: future cat owner

Welcome!!!

I rather adopt, in need kitties make GREAT pets and they will be forever thankful! You need: toys so he/she can play, cat condo if you decide to buy one of course, his/her own space :which will be your whole house haha, litter box, lots of love and treats!
DO NOT dewclaw your kitty please!!
It is cruel and it isn't just removing the claws, it is amputation Get scratching post and teach him/her how to use them.
Dewclawing leads to many issues, not beneficial at all!!
http://cats.about.com/od/declawing/tp/reasonsnot.htm

Oh we want pictures once you get him/her!

Maria
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 07:30 PM
Senior Cat

I forgot to mention i also live in a 2 bedroom and actually just moved from a 1 bedroom. My kitties are just fine. They do their "kitty Olympics" all through the place, back and forth....back and forth....

If you really only want one cat you can ask at the shelter/rescue group if they have any kitties that are suggested to be in a one-cat home. Some cats are just better that way. Otherwise I'd say get two, it's really not much more work. Plus it's more fun for them... and for you!!

Save a Life, Adopt a Pet.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 07:48 PM
Senior Cat

Petfinder is a great place to search all the rescue shelters in your area. You can even see photos and small bios on each of the cats that are being fostered or sheltered by each agency.

As for kind, I find that is really less important than the cat itself. Go visit a few shelters on adoption days, hang out with them. Someone will probably adopt YOU, and then the decision is made!
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuteNCraze86
I suggest adopting, there are so many kitties that need homes. I also suggest getting two if you will be leaving them alone a lot. Depends on the cat, but I got two for that same reason. Cats don't need CONSTANT attention like dogs but I think one might be lonely if left alone that often. If you do get one I would not get a kitten. They need ALOT of attention!!!
I agree 100%! Kittens are a lot of work - and they're nabbed up so fast in shelters they don't need a home. Take a look at some adults - their personalities are always developed so you'll know right from the start what you're getting. Two is always better than one, and a lot of shelters run a BOGO sale a lot. Especially if you'll be away a lot, this is the way you want to go.

And please research declawing, you don't want to do that to your kitty. All you need to do is purchase a scratching post and you should be good.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 10:37 PM

I agree with the others: visit a shelter, two are probably better than one if you aren't going to be around a lot, go for adults, and pleeeaase I wouldn't declaw!

I adopted a two-year-old cat from a shelter and everything's turned out so well. She's potty trained, she still enjoys playing (although only with select toys, hehe) and our place is pretty small but that doesn't seem to bother her... she's never tried to get out. She just fits in really well here.

And since the cat tree arrived, she hasn't scratched any of our furniture.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 11:40 PM
Senior Cat

If you're worried about unwanted scratching you need to do two things:

1. Provide a few scratching-approved sites like carpet-covered kitty condos, scratching posts, and possibly a few of the cardboard thingies with catnip in them. Scent them nicely with catnip (just rub a bit on, it'll make kitty want to sharpen her claws!) When kitty first goes exploring the house, tap the approved sites a few times to draw her attention to it, she should start using them.

2. Purchase a can of bitter-apple spray (sorry I can't tell you the brand we use, as I am being held hostage by Randy, who is making biscuits on my knee). Spray the sides and backs of furniture you want claws kept away from. We only spray the sides and backs because we like some kitty-cuddles when we watch TV, and we want them to feel comfortable jumping on the couch, just not sharpening claws on the couch. You will smell the bitter apple for probably 3-5 minutes, and then you won't notice it. It will stick with kitty though and they won't like the smell enough to get it on their paws or claws. We've only had to re-apply once in 3 weeks, and they haven't done any furniture scratching.

This saves your furniture and saves poor kitties claws. (de-clawing is really MUCH more disturbing than you think it is, check the link posted earlier)
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 12:03 AM
Premier Cat

Adopting a bonded pair of adults from a shelter is a nice, win-win way to go. They get to stay together, and you get a pair of nice mellow kitties who keep each other company while you're at work. Provide some horizontal and vertical scratching surfaces, and toys to keep them occupied.

I wasn't going to get into the declawing debate, but here goes anyway. The declawing procedure is billed by the vet as "making them better pets" and "no big deal for the cat". It is a very big deal for a cat, as much as having the first joints of your fingers and thumbs removed would be a "big deal" for you.

Declawing is an emotional issue for me, so that's enough said, before I type myself into the corner.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page