Crazy - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Crazy

I guess I'm in a thread making mood today.
But I just had to share this, it's driving me crazy thinking about it I honestly want to beat some sense into this woman. Look if you want your cat to be an outdoor cat whatever fine, I don't agree with it and wouldn't let my cats out to roam but thats me but saying anybody who keeps their cat inside doesn't know what they are doing and is cruel and that nothing will happen to them outside if they are fixed, have their shots and "know the roads"? My gosh.

Am I OK to be this upset about this? Please tell me I'm not crazy for wanting to take these cats from these two (the OP and the "top answer")?
http://ca.answers.yahoo.com/question...3102602AAwQlbi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-08-2008, 01:18 AM
Banned

When a cat owner lets their cats roam, even if there isn't a law against it, as soon as the cats leave her property, they cease being under her control, and they come under the control of whoever's property they're on. So the woman putting out food and inviting them into her house is completely within her legal rights to do so. The cat owner complaining has no basis for complaint, and I agree, if she's troubled by this, her only recourse is to keep her cats inside, or at least on her own property.

She should count herself and her cats lucky this other person apparently has no cruel and evil intent toward her cats. But there might be someone else out there who does.......
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-08-2008, 06:23 AM
Premier Cat

That's why Arianwen is only outside with my company.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-08-2008, 06:52 AM
Banned

There are pros and cons to letting your cat out. And people on both sides of the arguement have to respect that and its very annoying when people don't. Its no more cruel to keep your cat in than to let it out. Sigh.

A little respect costs nothing.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-08-2008, 09:37 AM
Senior Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by coaster
When a cat owner lets their cats roam, even if there isn't a law against it, as soon as the cats leave her property, they cease being under her control, and they come under the control of whoever's property they're on. So the woman putting out food and inviting them into her house is completely within her legal rights to do so. The cat owner complaining has no basis for complaint, and I agree, if she's troubled by this, her only recourse is to keep her cats inside, or at least on her own property.
So, when a dog-owner lets their dog off-leash and off-property the dog is no longer under their control, and comes under the control of whoever's propery they are on? This means if I let my dog on your property and it bites someone, it's your fault? I think their might be a fault in that logic....

On the other hand, if you let your animals have free run of the neighborhood I don't really feel like you can be upset that some little old lady is feeding them.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-08-2008, 10:09 AM
Banned

Re: Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac*
Am I OK to be this upset about this? Please tell me I'm not crazy for wanting to take these cats from these two (the OP and the "top answer")?
I just read though the whole thing again. I disagree with the comment that its cruel to not let cats outside but why would you want to take the cats away from the op and the top poster? They seem like caring cat owners to me. Rude perhaps to other people, but they care for their cats.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-08-2008, 10:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smirkitty
So, when a dog-owner lets their dog off-leash and off-property the dog is no longer under their control, and comes under the control of whoever's propery they are on? This means if I let my dog on your property and it bites someone, it's your fault? I think their might be a fault in that logic....
Well, I'm just citing the legal results of allowing an animal off-property. I never said the law is logical. And I think you're confusing "control" with "responsibility." In the example cited, the owner is still responsible, because that's an act done by the owned animal. In the legal sense exercising control means what the property owner can do with or to the animal when it's on his property. A person has control over his own property and everything on that property. He doesn't necessarily have responsibility. If his sewer backs up, it backs up into his basement, on his property, but if the blockage is out in the sewer main, it's not his responsibility.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-08-2008, 10:38 AM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Like I've said before I have no problem if you want to make your cat an outdoor or an outdoor/indoor cat. It's your choice, your cat. I'll tell you my thoughts about it but respect your decision on it. I would expect the same from you we don't have to agree. Calling me cruel for keeping my cats indoors is crossing the line though; same goes for calling people who let their cats outside cruel.

Why I would want to take their cats away? If they think a harmless thing like keeping your cat inside is cruel to it what else do they think is cruel that is completely harmless to the cat? If they believe that a cat will be safe outside as long as it "knows the roads" which I'm assuming they mean the cat knows to stay off the roads what other garbage do they believe? It makes me thinks just what they withhold from the cats, what they may do to the cats that they think is perfectly fine but is really harmful. I was ticked off when making that comment so maybe didn't word it very well but that was how I felt and still feel each time I read it or remember it.

I don't understand why that an old woman feeding her cats is automatically trying to steal them. Yes bringing them inside is a bit much but I doubt she's trying to steal them; maybe she doesn't know they belong to her or simply forgot they did. She may think they are strays and thinks she's doing a good thing, she may be trying to get them in her house so that she can take them to a vet to get them checked out. She may not be putting the food out just for her cats, maybe it's for other strays and her cats just take her up on the free offer. Just go over explain that you own the cats tell her you don't appreciate her trying to bring them inside but if she wants to feed other stray cats in the area she can't go chasing her cats off every time, keep them inside, build an enclosure, leash them something but if she's feeding other cats on her property its her right and this other person can't do a thing.

There are more uneducated answers as well there, someone said it was OK to use dog dewormer on a cat and the dosage of amoxicillin they should give to their cat, and shouldn’t their vet tell them the dosage and give them proper wormer?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-08-2008, 10:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac*
Like I've said before I have no problem if you want to make your cat an outdoor or an outdoor/indoor cat. It's your choice, your cat. I'll tell you my thoughts about it but respect your decision on it. I would expect the same from you we don't have to agree. Calling me cruel for keeping my cats indoors is crossing the line though; same goes for calling people who let their cats outside cruel.
I agree with that sentiment 100%.

I guess though that some people can get very passionate about these things and assume that the 'other way' is entirely wrong. There are obviously some things that are entirely wrong but I'm sure its pretty obvious what they are (we hope!).

As for the OP and the 'top poster' - with all due respect - there are so many other cat owners out there that dont really know what they are doing as regards to cat ownership (I certainly feel in that group at times ) - are we going to take all those cats away? Or is it better to educate them? Of course in this case, education is not possible - but we don't scream at newbies on here that their cats should be taken away because they are making some wrong - and perhaps harmful - assumptions about cats. We (hopefully gently) tell them otherwise.

As for the old lady stealing the cat. I'm not sure she is either. I feed outdoor kitties. Some of these will be ferals - and its these that are my intended feeders - but others are bound to be indoor/outdoor neighbourhood cats. I have no intention of stealing any of them and in fact got into a situation with a stray a while ago wherebys I was tying myself in knots trying to decide whether to take it in or not (on the premise I didnt really know whether it was a stray and not wanting to steal someones cat). I've learned since this cat has got a new home.

I try to avoid yahoo answers because some of the posts make me want to scream. Lots of idoits use that place
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 12:25 PM
Banned

You said it Allie. It's a personal choice for both the owner and the cat.

Oh and 90% of people on Yahoo answers are defective, and should be returned to the spam factory.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page