Is this everything I need before getting my first cat? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 03:07 AM Thread Starter

Is this everything I need before getting my first cat?

I have been researching cats for a few months now and am about ready to purchase everything I will need before I adopt my new friend.

So far I am planning on getting the following:
Nail trimmers
90 styptic pads (hoping they never have to be used)
laser pointer
Da Bird toy
a cat carrier
2 stainless steel bowls(1 for food, the other for water)

Stain remover and odor control http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... atid=13503 ( has anyone used this?)

scratching post/furniture http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... atid=17725

FURminator grooming tool (is anyone familiar with this? Is it worth the price?)

Litter Box http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... atid=17751

LItter- not sure what type yet

and food- again not sure what type yet

So do I have all of the necessary supplies on my list? Is there anything you would add/change/remove? Im getting more excited to adopt my cat then ever now that Im shopping for supplies!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 03:59 AM

That's a cool cat tree!

Let me know how you go with the Furminator, I've been considering it but I haven't bought one yet (I use a few different brushes at the moment).

I got some cat ear cleaning liquid and some cotton balls, for cleaning Milly's ears -- but I don't know if anyone else does this . I got Da Bird a few weeks ago... it's *awesome*! When I first brought Milly home I got her a whole bunch of cheap little toys, which she appreciated fully.

I use clay-based litter, but I don't know which type is the best, maybe someone else can help you out there.

I'm excited for you! Please post pics when he/she arrives!
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 04:07 AM
Super Moderator

This is a thread I started when I was getting new kittens. It's kind of long, but there's probably everything that you can imagine needing in it. Isn't it exciting?

https://www.catforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=43321

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 04:36 AM

Re: Is this everything I need before getting my first cat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexk3954
LItter- not sure what type yet

Definitely get odorless litter, and an air-freshener of some kind. My sister got parasites from dealing with cat litter, so make sure you breathe as little of it as possible.

As for the food, what I did with my cat is I tried different brands of food and zeroed in on the food that Frosty liked best. I noticed that with many brands of food Frosty liked it for a little while and then got tired of it, but I found one that he continued to like.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 06:37 AM
Premier Cat

I have not used the Furminator yet, but I have heard that it is wonderful- even some groomers on another forum that I go to can't say enough good things about it.

How exciting that you are getting a new friend.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 08:22 AM
Tom Cat

If you want some cheap entertainment get a couple of medium size empty cardboard boxes and cut some holes in the sides and top and make an opening big enough for kitty to get inside. Hours of fun. A paper grocery bag can be fun too.

The more people I meet the more I love my cat!

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 09:06 AM
Senior Cat

Re: Is this everything I need before getting my first cat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexk3954

When you go to adopt your new friend, the shelter or foster parent will let you know what kind of food they have been on in the shelter/foster setting. Cats are reputed to have delicate tummies, so staying on the same kind of food will help in the transition. Once kitty is feeling at home (perhaps a week or two, perhaps a little longer) you can begin the process of switching over to the food you would prefer to use. There are a fillbertyjillion recommendations, but it's going to come down to what you think is the best choice. More than one thread has been created here about food choices: some prefer dry, some prefer wet canned, some prefer a mix of the two, some prefer home cooked catfood and some prefer a raw diet.

It will take you some time to weed through it all (the food info). Personally we use a large-kibble dry food that is left out for them. The nibble on it, and seem to enjoy breaking up the large kibbles. We also give them wet twice a day, and use Wellness Brand and Sheeba (alternating).

Oh, and one more REALLY IMPORTANT THING TO DO AFTER YOU GET YOUR CAT.

Take pics and post them here, we all want to see!
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all of the replies so far! I think that I will probably go to the shelter sometime before the 20th, and I will make sure to come back here with some pictures
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 11:28 AM
Premier Cat

I got a Furminator to use on Rookie, who otherwise loved to be brushed, and she wasn't crazy about it. It must feel different from brushes, and she just wasn't sure what to make of it. I'm sure different cats are different, but my furminator went unused after about the second day I had it . . . . and it's pretty expensive.

Holly and Murphy
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 01:25 PM

My cat prefers the flea comb for brushing, and she likes the lint roller for quick fur removal too. (She's weird, I know.) I swear by those Renuzit deoderizers, I keep one by the litter box. I gave up on regular litter boxes because my cats kept tossing the litter out, so we got one of those large rubbermaid containers from Walmart and use that with scoopable litter and a regular litter scoop. And when I brought my kittens home, the humane society gave me a bag of the food they were on, I transitioned them right away onto a little bit of wet food each day and Purina Kitten Chow out all of the time. Now they eat wet food each evening and have Purina Cat Naturals dry food out during the day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page