I'm having an "AHHHHHHHHHH" moment (rant) - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

I'm having an "AHHHHHHHHHH" moment (rant)

I'm in the middle of a flash infestation! I'd never seen a single flea on Sebastian until today. Yesterday I was scratching behind his ears as usual and it felt a bit bumpy. This morning, same thing. Upon further investigation, I saw that those "bumps" were actually fleas and his neck fur was full of flea waste too!

When I came home at lunchtime it was even worse. Poor baby was biting and scratching, the works. I don't understand! I've never seen so many fleas come out of nowhere! Sebastian is an indoor cat, except for occasionally when he escapes as I open the door and dashes down the hall of my indoor building, or when he follows me onto my third floor balcony for a few minutes while I'm hanging up clothes. There are other apartments on my floor, but mine is the only one that's occupied. I know for a fact that I'm the only pet owner in the building! I took him in to the clinic for a nail clipping last weekend, but held him the entire time and is a week really enough time for a few picked up fleas to multiply so much?! I figure I must be bringing them in on my shoes!

Tonight he got a flea bath (granted I have no flippin idea what the bottle says...I asked one of the workers to read me some of it), and though I got his neck first, I still found some on his face afterwards! Now I have to go through the entire de-flea process! I've vacuumed my entire apartment twice since this morning. Thank goodness his neutering appointment is tomorrow, maybe I can score some advantage!

I'm just looking to rant to some sympathetic ears! I hate fleas! And I feel like I was ambushed!

Robin and...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 12:02 PM

Having fleas is never fun, one time my dog infested my room but we managed to clean it up eventually. I wish you luck in your fight against the fleas!
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 12:47 PM
Premier Cat

So where would they have come from? Eeekkkk, that's scary when it happens to an indoor cat.

Holly and Murphy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 12:51 PM

i feel your pain, i havent had a flea infestion in many many years. I use advantage on my kitties and it works great!!! Good luck to you
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 01:16 PM

My in-laws always tell me about the infamous flea infestation they had. They had one or two dogs, and apparently some fleas got inside. Then the in-laws locked up the house with the doors and windows closed for a weekend camping, they took the dogs of course. They came back and literally their carpet was crawling with black. It's not good when you can see the fleas without having to bend over and look! So, in a short weekend, the fleas had filled the house.

I personally can't stand fleas either, so I feel your pain!
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheComputerGremlin
My in-laws always tell me about the infamous flea infestation they had. They had one or two dogs, and apparently some fleas got inside. Then the in-laws locked up the house with the doors and windows closed for a weekend camping, they took the dogs of course. They came back and literally their carpet was crawling with black. It's not good when you can see the fleas without having to bend over and look! So, in a short weekend, the fleas had filled the house.
OMG! That's horrifying! If that happens to me, I am moving, no joke!

Robin and...
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 03:29 PM
Premier Cat

My parents had the infestation happen many years ago. They went away and when they came back my Mom was wearing light colored pants. When she walked in the house her pants turned black .

I always feel so bad when the babies have fleas on their face. It has to feel so icky. Good luck on the Advantage hunt.

Make sure that you vacuum all of the furniture also.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 08:39 PM
Premier Cat

Oh dear! I feel your pain! I absolutely hate fleas!!
My cats are indoor too but, they still get them occasionally. In the hot months, I just use Advantage to make sure I don't get them. Since then, I've never had a bad infestation. In days past, before Advantage, I used to treat the house with boric acid. Just sprinkle it everywhere and vacuum it up. Worked great. This was all while the cats were at the vet getting a flea treatment!
Just a reminder, if you've had a bad infestation, chances are you cat has tapeworms now. You may want to go ahead and treat when you take him into the vet. If you notice any little rice or sesame seed looking things laying around, you've got tapeworms. Not you! Your cat!!

Victoria
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 08:48 PM
Tom Cat

When I bought my first house I brought my kitty in and sat her down. Within 20 minutes she was scratching and digging. The former owners had a GSD and a indoor/outdoor cat. I never knew
I called in a pest control company and $300.00 later I (and the cat) had no more fleas. Its Advantage once a month now.

The more people I meet the more I love my cat!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 10:12 AM
Premier Cat

I once lived upstairs from a lady who had a flea-bitten chihuahua, and the infestation spread to my apartment. One day Sam and I were comfortable and playing happily; the next day my ankles were itching and when I looked into his eyes to give him blinkiies there were fleas swimming in Sam's eyes.
A couple of aerosol bombs in the apartment, a vet flea treatment for Sam, and everything was back to normal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page