cat trees - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

cat trees

I've been saving up my money and would really like to get the boys a cat tree, my dad made them one almost but he never finished and it was not put together the best (carpet is coming off, not as tall as I'd like, only has one platform and that's it) so I'd just like to get one. Anyone know of some good ones that are not very expensive (I'd prefer to not exceed $200, less is even better!), are tall and have lots of fun stuff for the cats?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 06:59 PM
Cool Cat

http://www.cozycatfurniture.com/cat_...athammock.html
$139 w/ free shipping, thats a good deal! (I just did a random search, no idea on the quality)
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 07:16 PM
Senior Cat

http://listings.ebay.com/Cat-Supplies_F ... NSQ3a20740

I got one for $59.99 on here just the other day (it's on the way). Not sure about the quality but I can let you know when I get it. Seems okay to me from the picture. We'll see!! It's my first one so I am excited !!

oh, and the one I chose had free shipping... guess thats why its taking a while to get here (I ordered it 5 days ago). Should have it soon.

good luck!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Save a Life, Adopt a Pet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 08:39 PM
Banned

My local Petsmart store has a pretty good selection of decent cat trees, most under $200. Not exactly decorator quality, and not all sturdy, but you can check that out in the store. I'm leery of ordering something like that online because if it turns out not to be as advertised, or is defective, it's a big deal to get it made right.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

yeah being sturdy worries me, anyone know a good base size in comparison to height? I don't want to get a tree with a base that is too small to support the height of the tree.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 11:51 PM
Cat Addict

Craigslist...best deals on cat trees ever!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 09:25 AM
Tom Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to MissAnne2u
http://www.overstock.com/search?keyword ... =HP_Header

Overstock.com .... Got this one for $134.95 w/ $2.95 shipping ... VERY sturdy, and looks nice too.

Somewhat of a pain to put together, but well worth the time and money. I've added all kinds of toys hanging from it using a staple gun. The kitties didn't like it at first, but now they lay on it all the time.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

There are some great trees! Thanks everyone, today I'm making my Confirmation so I'll get some money and I have $250 now so I'll probably be into the $300 or even $400 range after today (I have a large family) and then I'll buy the tree, I'm excited my parents don't want it for some reason, but they are my cats and it will be money and in my room so oh well lol.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 10:59 AM
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to OsnobunnieO
the armarkat trees are wonderful and very low price in comparison to similar sizes and shapes... and get them on ebay for even less!

I have this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/9-LEVEL72-Cat-Tr...742.m153.l1262

and while it'll seem like the shipping will kill you, you get away with paying only about $30 or so for the tree. I think my grand total was $115 or something VERY close to it!!

the website is http://www.armarkat.com/ and they offer free shipping... but I still say to try eBay first!

Jessie

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 02:59 PM
Banned

As far as the base goes, it depends on the weight. There's no recommended width-to-height ratio I'm aware of. For scratching posts, the base should be at least 1/3 of the height, but there we're talking about an item where the weight of the cat could be a large percentage of the weight of the scratching post. Whereas with a cat tree, the weight of the cats on it is a much smaller percentage of the weight of the tree. What I'm saying, is that a heavy cat tree is less "tippy" than a scratching post simply because of its size as well as its weight. I think more important than size of the base is whether the center of the weight distribution (center of gravity) is over the center of the base and whether it's in the lower half of the height. The cat tree I bought had the vertical structure offset to one side, so in that direction it was a bit tippy and placing it against the wall was the only solution.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page