!!!BAD VETS!!! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 11:06 PM Thread Starter

!!!BAD VETS!!!

One of my co-workers told me the other day that while she was out for vacation her precious little kitty had died, his name was Boxer. I asked what had happened, he was so young, and should not have died. She told me that he had started shaking his head back and forth, it caused her to worry, so they made a trip to the vet. They took blood work, and labs, and ended up over a period of 3 days gave that little kitty 3 blood transfusions, they were waiting for the labs and other results to come back. One of the vets told her, "I took blood but didnt send them off, I was trying to save you some money." They still have not gotten the labs back, are in the whole $3,000 in vet bills, and have lost there precious little Boxer. I was wondering if anyone had any advise for her on what she could do, I mentioned talking to a lawer for maybe some type of malpractice..? If he sent off those labs, they may have been able to treat Boxer, maybe not, but she is so tore up about losing her little baby.

I was also wondering I came across 2 little kitties that are being fostered right now, I posted about them... I was thinking about asking her if she wanted one of them when they are weaned... but I didnt want to ask her too soon.... when should I bring them up to her, I dont want her to think I am asking her to replace her Boxer.

Thanks, and Help!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 11:52 PM
Banned

In the context of a $3K vet bill, not having some lab work done that might cost $50 or $100 does seem odd. I suppose maybe it was the vet's judgment at that point that the kitten was already a goner and the lab work would have been pointless.

It's a sad story and does seem like some things don't add up, but I don't know.....rushing off to a lawyer first thing seems a bit hasty. I think they should pursue a full disclosure from the vet about what was wrong with the kitten and what went wrong (if anything) with its treatment. And perhaps wait a bit until the heat of the moment has died and rational decisions can be made.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 12:01 AM Thread Starter

I see where you are coming from...
Though, the vet that didnt send off the labs, that happened in the begining, and didnt tell her about it till after the cat died, from what I understood. AND wouldnt a responsible vet tell the pet parents "Hey I really dont think your pet is going to make it through this..." instead of let them rack up all those bills?
I am terribly confused about why all that happened the way it did.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 12:33 AM
Banned

Like you say, it's all very confusing. Assuming the worst right now is rushing to judgment, IMO. I think it would be better to sit down with the vet and carefully go over everything that happened step by step -- what was done and why -- from the first sign something was wrong until the cat died. If they're not willing to do this, then I'd say they're trying to cover their butts or they're hiding something. But if they're willing to carefully explain everything to everyone's satisfaction, then I think that's a good sign they were acting in good faith. It's just in the nature of it that not every outcome is going to be a good outcome. If they can prove that they were doing their best, then I think they'll all feel better about it. And if they can't, well, then, it's time to play hardball.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 01:50 AM
Premier Cat

Possibly the blood work was not sent because it would have revealed a medical mistake that caused poor Boxer's death.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 03:19 AM
Premier Cat

I agree with Tim. There are too many holes in the story to really come to any conclusion. I would get a full copy of my pet's records and talk to the vet before doing anything else.

Victoria
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

Yeah I told her if it were me I would get together all of his records, and get a detailed bill (that way they can review what all was done to him, and find out why the blood wasnt sent off in the first place.) They obviously didnt care about the bill, or how much it cost, I dont see why they would try to 'save her money' She is still soo tore up abut losing him, I feel for her.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page