House cats - hunting inanimate objects? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 07:20 AM Thread Starter
Cat

House cats - hunting inanimate objects?

Chloe was hunting yesterday. I had not seen her for a while so I went upstairs to find her. She was staring avidly at a nearly used up loo roll which was on a shelf in the bathroom. The end of the roll was hanging down slightly and was moving in the air. She was making the chattering noises cats make at birds. I told her she was a silly thing and left her to it. Around 15 mins later Chloe comes downstairs making strange mewing noises, dragging the loo roll from her mouth and proudly presents it to me. The battle must have been epic there was not a bit of the loo roll which had not been bitten and ripped! So I give her a cuddle and say who's a clever hunter remove the paper and let her play with the roll. The other day she also hunted and killed a letter from the gas board which was flapping in the breeze.

Do all house cats hunt objects in houses? She has toys and her sister to hunt with and the occasional fly which stupidly enters the house so I don't think she is bored!

As an aside - if a wasp gets into the room the kittens try to catch it like they do all flies - is it safe for the cats to catch the wasp (thinking about the stings) at the moment we get the cats out the room and try to get the wasp out ourselves.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 07:30 AM

YES oh YES!! they so do. my Suki's proudest moment was successfuly hunting, capturing and presenting:

THE BATH PLUG!!

yes thats right, my cat subdued the terrible dangerous bath plug all for her mummy.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 09:02 AM
Cat Addict

My college age son is home for the summer. He has a habit of taking his socks off wherever he happens to be. Tucker stalks the socks and drags them through the house to where we are and presents them to us, meowing all the while.
Sue

Sue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 09:02 AM
Tom Cat

My Duchess hunts the boot laces of my boots. She hunkers down behind a bananna box, wiggles her butt and charges. Once she hooked the laces and ran down the hall and the boot caught then bumped her in the butt! She looked back like what in the world happened.

The more people I meet the more I love my cat!

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 10:32 AM
Premier Cat

When we're outside sometimes I throw pinecones for Arianwen to pounce on. The pinecone rolls, stops, and wobbles for a few seconds, and she pounces on it like a ferocious tiger!
In the house she hunts her catnip toys. Silly little tiger!
Kitties just have to let their hunting instincts out.

About the wasps - Arianwen got stung by a wasp on her foot and it was very painful for her for a couple of weeks. So keep getting rid of them for her. Flies don't hurt; wasps do. A lot.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 11:51 AM
Cool Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to mstx
Munchkins biggest victory was defeting my slippers. She hid them then decided that after 2 months she would drag them back out to the living room and show us how good she is at hunting then presented me with the dead slipper (now I have to lock them in the closet so she doesnt hid them again )
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 12:08 PM

My one cat will attack everything, but she doesn't find it as interesting as the other one. The other one, however, *loves* her toy mice. She'll go wandering around, yelling with one in her mouth. She routinely drops the mice at the foot of our bed during the night, then in the morning, we step on them (and they have those little hard bodies) and they hurt! She also attacks the infamous invisible bug on the carpet!

My last cat, Smokey, she used to leave me presents every night. She started by dragging this Barbie doll out of a toybox and leaving it on my floor. Then one night, she drug pieces of Barbie clothes, up from the basement, to my bedroom. There was a pile in my room of Barbies and Barbie clothes, and a line of clothes going down to the box they were in. It was the most precious thing ever!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 01:47 PM
Premier Cat

Some of my kitties are real hunters. Right now Molly is stalking a tie from the bread bag. She talks and pounces and carries it around the house. Oh, and she kicks anyone's butt who comes near it!

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 08:04 PM
Senior Cat

My Pyxl (RB) used to hunt my socks and wander around meowing loudly. Great fun at 3 am! We got her a large stuff moth from Fat Cat, Inc, the only "bought" toy she would ever play with, and she would do the same thing...
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 09:42 PM
Banned

I only just now realized that avatar is a picture of an/your(?) eye -- and here I thought it was abstract art. Unique and ingenious.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page