Trip to the ER...Oliver bit me... =( - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 09:38 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Trip to the ER...Oliver bit me... =(

Oliver bit me last night and since no walk-in's were open, I decided to go to the ER for the tetanus shot and antibiotics. I didn't want to go today and miss any work.

What had happened is I put cat nip on the floor for him because it makes it easier for me to brush him if he's pre-occupied with something. He was already squirrelly because of that and then the doorbell rings. I had the door open so there was the screen door there between me and this guy (I assume he was going to try to sell me something). Oliver ran to the door with me and when the guy started talking, Oliver flipped out, ran up my jeans, bit the top of my leg and ran down. His teeth sunk in…and sunk in hard. It all happened in a matter of seconds and I told the guy I had to go and shut the door. Oops, guess that was rude of me.

We washed the wound with peroxide. It was so nasty. And he has bit me through my jeans…

So at the ER, in my room, they told me the phone was going to be ringing...sure enough, it did. It was Olathe police taking down info for the animal bite. Argh. After taking my info, they said Animal Control will be in contact with me tomorrow. This all sounded too familiar…..

Oh, and the patient intake person just happened to be our next door neighbor. I never formally met her so we thought it was funny that this is how it had to happen. haha!

Wish me luck that Animal Control doesn't try to do anything more than they did last time, with this being his second offense within the last couple months.

All this, right when my husband confided in me on how good Oliver was doing since he'd been the only cat in the home and how he might even be ok to have around our kids someday....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 01:48 PM
Premier Cat

Heather, I am so sorry about all of this. I hope your wound heals quickly and that Animal Control is understanding.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 01:51 PM
Banned

what can animal control do to oliver?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 02:15 PM
Premier Cat

That's terrible you're dealing with this again! Believe me, I know how much that hurts. On the other hand, it sounds like Oliver was wound up and it's not something he would have done under normal circumstances. What are the repercussions with Animal Control?

Holly and Murphy
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
what can animal control do to oliver?
That's the thing, I don't know. This is the second time they will have to come to my house in the last 2 months because of Oliver biting.

https://www.catforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=48084

They haven't called me yet today but have most likely stopped at my house already leaving a nasty note. It's their job though, so I can't get too worked up about it. Hopefully, I can just keep him quarentined in my home again...

Nah, probably not something he'd do under normal circumstances. It wasn't out of the blue, it was triggered so that's comforting. But imagine if I had a baby lying in the floor and he attacked it? Frightening.

I might call my vet later and see if I can switch his meds. He's been on muscle relaxers but I really think there is a chemical imbalance in his head and he needs to be on paxil/prozac or whatever it's called.

Ugh, this cat has caused me so much headache!
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 02:25 PM
Cool Cat

Did you get his rabies shots updated since last time? If he's vaccinated I'd be surprised if there's anything they can do unless the bite-e complains (which since you're the bite-e isn't an issue).
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Yes, I got him a rabies shot since the last incident. But, unfortuantly, they can do whatever law states. My mom didn't complain at all but they made her give the information, then they came after me for it. Doesn't matter who the animal bites, it's their job to investigate and determine what needs to be done.
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 03:10 PM
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather102180
Yes, I got him a rabies shot since the last incident. But, unfortuantly, they can do whatever law states. My mom didn't complain at all but they made her give the information, then they came after me for it. Doesn't matter who the animal bites, it's their job to investigate and determine what needs to be done.
What I meant was that I think generally the concern with cat bites is rabies unless some sort of complaint is being filed. I thought that the vaccinated vs unvaccinated issue would make a difference in terms of what they would do about the bite, and I think in some places it does, but a quick Google suggests that Kansas may have a 10-day quarantine regardless.

Oh, well... I guess you'll find out soon enough. I hope your bite heals quickly and that Oliver does well on the new meds if you switch!
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 04:55 PM
Cat Addict

I don't understand why animal control has to be involved, when I got attacked by a stray, the injuries were horrifying, I had to get multiple shots and animal control had to come in and quarantine the cat, but this is a domestic incident, was the injury that bad?
I know when I was attacked I was given 3 units of blood, I lost a lot..
Does it hurt? I am sorry.

Maria
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

I don't know all the laws but in Kansas and Illinois, the law is, whenever anyone comes in with any kind of animal bite (whether it be from a housecat or a stray), a police report has to be taken and given to Animal Control. Beleive me, I wish they didn't have to get involved either, but it's not up to me. I could have forgone treatment but I'm not about to get an infection. The way cats teeth are shaped like a cone, makes it even more likely that you'll get an infection because they sink that saliva right in.

Oh and their excuse for stepping in even though it's a domestic injury is because "a bat could have flown in your house and bit your cat."

Oh man, that's a lot of bloodloss! That stinks. Yeah, my attack hurt but I didn't loose much blood.

I might post a pic of it tonight....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page