Cats reacting to dying pet - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-24-2008, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Cats reacting to dying pet

I am fascinated by how the girls are reacting to the slow passing of my poor little gerbil Silver. After months of leaping onto the cage the girls are being really soft and quiet around the cage. I don't know if they are reacting to how I am feeling of whether they can sense what is happening to Silver. Poor Silver is 3 years and 2 months old now and last night he seems to have had a stroke and now is just lying in his nest waiting for the inevitable. I have been sitting watching him for some time and I had Chloe purring next to me for quite some time. I am just shocked at how sweet they are being.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-24-2008, 06:47 PM
Premier Cat

I think they can sense it. When our dog Nikki was passing the kitties all came and said goodbye to him.

I'm glad that they are there to help you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-24-2008, 10:27 PM
Premier Cat

I think they sense that Silver is passing, and they sense how sad you are. They probably do get the connection, that's why they are being so sweet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-24-2008, 10:49 PM
Tom Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to MissAnne2u
When Tobie was really sick near the end, Freaky quit picking on him and actually laid next to him a couple of times and groomed him. She was VERY depressed after he passed.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-25-2008, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
Cat

RIP little Silver. He fought bravely until the end and I am happy to say we were with him when it finally happened.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-25-2008, 07:05 PM
Premier Cat

RIP little one. I'm sorry you lost your little fur friend.

I believe that animals can sense many things, even human fear when we are really scared. I had a couple horses who protected me from a large dog that was trying to get at me in the fence while I was fixing a gate. They chased the dog, he circled around to get at me again, and they chased him till he continued to run. When I started to cry (big time dog fear), they both came to me, one had her head over my shoulder, while the other was up against my back. They stayed with me till I stopped crying, and got my composure back. They waited with me for 15 minutes.....I was that terrified. When they knew the dog was gone, they felt comfortable to walk away to graze, and then followed me to the barn. I just couldn't believe it that day, what they had done for me.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-25-2008, 10:31 PM
Premier Cat

R.I.P. little Silver. Run free in the lush green fields at the Bridge, little one.

That is wonderful the way your minis protected and comforted you, Geri. They treat you like you're an honorary member of their herd.

Way long ago, in the 70's last century, Rusty, a large ginger/white tom kitty, ran off a very large GSD that was in the habit of harassing me in north Metairie. He had to have planned his amazing defense of me in advance and given it lots of kitty thought. When the dog went for me, Rusty came up like an orange bolt of lightning outflanking the dog, jumped on top of the dog's shoulders, and reached over the dog's head to claw at its eyes. The dog took off screaming, and Rusty rode it for about 1/2 block as it howled in fear and pain. After that, the dog never bothered me again.

Rusty was another amazing kitteh that who will never be forgotten.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-26-2008, 12:09 AM
Premier Cat

You were loved little Silver. I am glad that your pain is gone now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-29-2008, 01:12 AM
Jr. Cat

RIP little Silver. It is truely amazing how animals are so sensitive to our feelings and how they know when something is up. I'm sure Silver knew his furry and human family were with him while he crossed the bridge.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 02:01 AM
Cat Addict

Re: Cats reacting to dying pet

RIP little silver
I am very sorry for your loss.

Maria
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page