How to trim nails? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-31-2008, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

How to trim nails?

I mean, I know "how" to trim nails on a cat. I know not to go into the quick and all, my problem is that one of the cats that I would like to trim the nails is really not into us picking her up. Let me put it this way...right now if I was to ask hubby to help trim Tinsel's nails, he would look at me for a second and say...."Are you crazy?" Tinsel does NOT like to be picked up and if you try to put her into a blanket or towel to hold her she gets out. She frantically gets out. She acts like a feral cat. (She is not, she was born in a shelter.) of course we need her front paws to clip them and we have to have the front paws outside the towel to clip them and that is how she gets out of the towel. I am not really thrilled about paying $35+ for the vet to clip them though. I do have this spray stuff that is supposed to calm cats down. Should I start putting it in the cats water and see if she responds?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-31-2008, 09:07 PM
Banned

I think first things first. Up to this point, you've turned your trimming sessions into wrestling matches. I'd say, get your cat used to being held, first. Not all cats like being held. But if you work on it slowly and make it a pleasant experience every time, and let her go when she's had enough, then gradually over a long period of time, she'll get used to it if not actually like it. In the meantime, you'll probably have to have someone else do the clipping so she doesn't associate you with it. Couldn't you have it done cheaper by a groomer?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-31-2008, 09:31 PM Thread Starter

I called a local groomer and you know what she said? If she is like that (like a feral cat and scratching) then maybe she would need to be tranquilized and that I should contact my vet about grooming her (or trimming her nails.)

She did this same thing last year when we had to put drops in her ears for mites from the shelter. We barely got any treatments in cause we about gave up, we did not want to get scratched to death.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-31-2008, 09:54 PM
Senior Cat

$35 for a nail trim? That's insane, try looking at another clinic for their prices with it. The clinic I used to work at charged $10 for all four feet or if only certain nails really needed to be done then it was $5. I'm sure there are more reasonable priced nail trims from vets in your area? Do you have any groomers in the area that only deal with cats? I know some around me do but not sure about your area. I'd call around a bit to a few different groomers and clinics.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 12:33 PM

is she a deep sleeper? I stealthly cut a nail or two at a time on my older cat because she never had it done when she was young... it works... to an extent...

sometimes you can get a paw in without them waking up... try taking it slow... try trimming her paws on her terms...

just a suggestion, other than wrapping her tighter in the blanket... we also do that with my old cat I only occasionaly get to sneak it in. But the sleepy clip is what I am doing with my new kitten and it seems to be working...

Also when ever he is asleep I grap his paws and press his nails out to get him used to behing handled while sleeping or sleepy... This way when I actually have to clip he doesnt move... (as much)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page