Advice about Kittens - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

Advice about Kittens

Hi,

I have posted before about my cat buttons. She has been ill for a week but looks like she has recovered and is back to her old self again.

My wife and i love cats. We have been considering getting a kitten for over a year now but for one reason or another haven't.

Can anybody share their views about the followng converns we have.

1) Will it be okay to introduce a kitten to our home when we a 10 year old female cat. She is not aggressive at all by the way.

2) We both work full time, is this a problem? Do we need to consider 2 kittens. Initially until i am absolutely sure Buttons will get on with the kittens i will seperate them in the house while we are at work. I would consider doing this for quite a while. 2 kittens would keep each other company but would they gang up on my older cat?

If anyone has had any experience working full time and getting a kitten i would love to hear your views.

Thanks

Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 12:21 PM
Senior Cat

We have an older cat, and he did get on with the kittens we adopted after a while. BUT, getting TWO kittens did help them leave him alone! They had each other to bug and wrestle with, and they left him be most times.

So, I would suggest if you are able, two kittens (so they don't bother the eldest).

Also, my SO and I both work f/t, and we have 4 cats. One elderly, one adult, 2 kittens (wow, I think both my kittens are actually over a year now!). We've never had a problem.

Kelly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 11:18 AM
Jr. Cat

Definetly 2 kittens! It will be easier on your older cat, and it has been my experience from doing something similar, that the older cat may get caught up in the playful kitten behavior of the young duo, and it makes them all get along better in the future.

Tux,Tippi, Tessa, Mouli, Mia, Daughter, Nubie, Blondie, Spotty, Skeeter, Cookie, Duncan (Donut), Benny James, Marlene Dietreich, Max, Pippin (Pipierous ArPharazon), Arwen (Undomiel), oh yes, and Lilly Bell
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

Spoke to the RSPCA this morning.

They will not even consider letting 1 or 2 kittens go to a home where the owners work full time. Only a cat 6 months old would be considered.

Maybe if we were both claiming benefits and not working we could get one

What do you think the next move should be.

Where would be the best place to get one? Do other cat rescue places have the same policies?

Or do we tell a porky that my partner works part time? we are talking about the difference of 4 hours here?

Thanks

Paul
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 11:28 AM
Jr. Cat

Go to a local shelter and pick out two little ones, you will be saving two lives. If there is no shelter in your area, look at grocery store bulletin boards, look at newspaper classified ads, or ask your vet for any leads. This time of year, there are kittens everywhere, unfortunately.

Tux,Tippi, Tessa, Mouli, Mia, Daughter, Nubie, Blondie, Spotty, Skeeter, Cookie, Duncan (Donut), Benny James, Marlene Dietreich, Max, Pippin (Pipierous ArPharazon), Arwen (Undomiel), oh yes, and Lilly Bell
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 11:27 AM
Premier Cat

Kittens can get in crazy situations. Its a great idea you would keep them sequestered initially. Esp for the mental health of your present kitty. A pair is always the right way to go. They have so much energy and miss the companionship of their litter mates.

Be fore warned youll want to play hookie from work because you will fall in love so fast with these new additions. Kitten proof your house. They race thru the house and knock things off and over.

If you are in the US the Humane Society lets kittens go really young. They will move them out to new homes at 4 to 5 weeks old. Not so many rules.

If they are older the benefit is they have shots and weigh enough to be spayed or neutered already so you dont have to do that. If there are kittens from a foster home that are with their domesticated mom is optimal since she will mother them for a minimum of 8 -12 weeks. Alot of security developed and cat rules are taught during that period. That is not the case if the mom is feral since she would be teaching them survival habits so you take the kitten away earlier to get them use to humans!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page