What is this cat colour called? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 09:53 AM Thread Starter

What is this cat colour called?

I bought this kitten about 4 week ago, and my vet said her coat was rare, and that she wasn't sure what it was called, does anyone know?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 10:29 AM
Banned

Brown.....
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 10:44 AM

she is just a very dark 'blotched' tabby. you may find as she grows older her coat color my lighten up a bit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 10:53 AM
Banned

I think that's going to be an attractive and striking pattern when she grows up.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 11:28 AM
Premier Cat

What a beautiful kitten!
Yes, I do think it is unusual, and probably rare, but I would wait until the little one grows up before deciding how rare. Sometimes, black kittens will show their tabby markings and as they mature, their coat becomes all black and hides those markings.
I hope that doesn't happen with this kitten, that would be very striking! Take a look at the hair coat, part the hairs in the two different colored areas and see what differences you see. If the hair shafts are all one color from root to tip, the kitten may become all-over one color as it matures. But, if the two different colors show a difference, like one (the dark area) is solid from root to tip and the other (the lighter area) has different shading or bands of color, it may keep its distinctive markings as it matures.
Please, take lots of pictures and t us watch as this kitten grows up! I would love to see how it turns out!
Also, what have you named her? I'd love to call her 'mine'!

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 07:13 PM

I believe the name for that coloring is Melanistic. At least that is what it is called in the bengal breed. Where did you get you kitten. If it were a bengal it would be a melanistic color with a marble pattern. In other breeds that would be a classic tabby pattern.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 09:04 PM
Premier Cat

That is a strikingly beautiful kitten.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi n Q
What a beautiful kitten!
Yes, I do think it is unusual, and probably rare, but I would wait until the little one grows up before deciding how rare. Sometimes, black kittens will show their tabby markings and as they mature, their coat becomes all black and hides those markings.
I hope that doesn't happen with this kitten, that would be very striking! Take a look at the hair coat, part the hairs in the two different colored areas and see what differences you see. If the hair shafts are all one color from root to tip, the kitten may become all-over one color as it matures. But, if the two different colors show a difference, like one (the dark area) is solid from root to tip and the other (the lighter area) has different shading or bands of color, it may keep its distinctive markings as it matures.
Please, take lots of pictures and t us watch as this kitten grows up! I would love to see how it turns out!
Also, what have you named her? I'd love to call her 'mine'!
i call her Cocoa lol and the kitten behind her is also mine and shes called Oreo
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 11:31 AM
Premier Cat

They are gorgeous kitties.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 10:13 PM
Senior Cat

When I look at that kitten all I can think of is a turtle. No, no, the one made of pecans and caramel, covered in chocolate. Yummy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page