Do you worry about the day when you will have to give up... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-06-2008, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Do you worry about the day when you will have to give up...

your precious cat forever? Sometimes I think I am just not normal. I am 45 years old and never had children. My 9-year-old Siamese is like a child to me. Sometimes, I can't enjoy her because I am so worried about the day I have to give her up.

She has been sick with diarrhea for 3 months now and three different vets don't know why. I am at a loss. I have tried everything amd nothing helps. I am so afraid I will lose her. I just sit and cry sometimes. I love her so much it hurts.

Thanks for listening,
Jennie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-06-2008, 10:31 PM
Tom Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to MissAnne2u
I'm so sorry your kitty is sick ...

I recently went through this with my 17 yr old kitty, Tobie. He started getting sick last October and by January he was so sick (diareah and vomiting constantly, not eating and not even moving from his favorite chair) that I ended having to put him to sleep. The doctors couldn't tell me what was wrong with him even after $4000 in vet bills.

I am also in my 40's, no kids and my kitties are my children. It broke my heart to watch Tobie suffer, I put off the inevitable for weeks... but the final straw was when I came home and found him nearly unconscience in the middle of the floor and I knew it was time. I cried for days and still cry once in a while even now, 5 months later.

We hate to see our animals suffer but we also hate to lose them. I know that in the end, you will do what is best for your kitty. Good Luck and keep us posted on kitty.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-06-2008, 10:41 PM

45 here and no children either. I thought about that a lot the last 2 years we had our old cat Madison. He was almost 18.

What made things easier was knowing that each day was a blessing and that he brought us so much joy. You have to stop thinking about the negatives and enjoy what you have. He wasn't well the last 2 years of his life - never thought about it until then.

Hope you get answers about your baby's health. Just don't think about the 'what ifs". Just enjoy your time together.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-06-2008, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Anne...I am so sorry you lost your precious Tobie. Do you have more cats? Misty is the only one I have.

Thanks for caring,
Jennie
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-06-2008, 11:12 PM
Premier Cat

Forty-nine and no kids here, except sweet little Arianwen.
Months ago she had a bad reaction to some vaccs, and I thought she was dying. I held her, softly petting her, telling her how much I love her, and just cried and cried. I couldn't imagine life without her, and hopefully we'll have close to twenty more years before I have to go through that again.

But I know when that time sadly comes she'll become an angel; she'll be around forever, nudging fate to help people and kitties who need her. She might be Sam's apprentice already.
run
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-06-2008, 11:22 PM

I am sorry to hear about your kitty, I hope she recovers fully and will be there for you for many more years. Best of luck to you both!
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-06-2008, 11:37 PM
Premier Cat

It is a sad fact that our pets do not live as long as we do. Well, unless you have a parrot, tortoise or elephant, that is. There will come a time they will have to leave us as their bodies fail them, and we will sometimes have to make that painful, but respectful and loving, Big Decision to free them from the confines of a body that is betraying them.

My opinion; I will always hold their memories dear to my heart.
Every. Single. Cat. I've. Ever. Loved.
...and I will look forward to the day I get to meet them all at The Bridge. In the meantime, I will honor the memory of the love I've had for all of my kittehs, by loving as many more kitties for their (short) lifetimes during my own lifetime.

Expect for grieve when you lose your kitty. Know that it will happen. But also know that eventually the tears will turn to smiles at the beautiful and fond memories you will have shared with your cat. Then I would recommend getting another cat who needs to be loved and cared for, and keep the love you had for your first cat alive by loving the new cat. The new cat(s) never replace previous cats, the love is always individual to the pet, and I feel they enrich our lives immensely and I could never be without a furry family member.

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-07-2008, 12:16 AM
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi n Q
It is a sad fact that our pets do not live as long as we do. Well, unless you have a parrot, tortoise or elephant, that is. There will come a time they will have to leave us as their bodies fail them, and we will sometimes have to make that painful, but respectful and loving, Big Decision to free them from the confines of a body that is betraying them.

My opinion; I will always hold their memories dear to my heart.
Every. Single. Cat. I've. Ever. Loved.
...and I will look forward to the day I get to meet them all at The Bridge. In the meantime, I will honor the memory of the love I've had for all of my kittehs, by loving as many more kitties for their (short) lifetimes during my own lifetime.

Expect for grieve when you lose your kitty. Know that it will happen. But also know that eventually the tears will turn to smiles at the beautiful and fond memories you will have shared with your cat. Then I would recommend getting another cat who needs to be loved and cared for, and keep the love you had for your first cat alive by loving the new cat. The new cat(s) never replace previous cats, the love is always individual to the pet, and I feel they enrich our lives immensely and I could never be without a furry family member.
I couldn't agree more. It was just a mere month ago that I had my dear Chynna put down leaving us catless. Diamond is the awesomest (yeah, it's MY word! LOL) dog in the world and having her helped ease some of the sorrow. But it wasn't long before I knew we all needed another cat in the house. Not just ME, but Karl AND Diamond. She hasn't been this perky since Chynna passed over.

I do believe that all my previous kitties led me to Sammy last week, which also opened our heart and our home to just ONE more - and we added Lexi yesterday. She and Sammy love hunting one another and leaping out onto each other around corners and I feel confident they're going to be fast friends.

Robin
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-07-2008, 12:17 AM
Tom Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to MissAnne2u
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenlee
Anne...I am so sorry you lost your precious Tobie. Do you have more cats? Misty is the only one I have.

Thanks for caring,
Jennie
Yes Jennie ... I have Freak, she is just about 5 yrs old and we just got Scooter about 3 months ago. Scooter will never replace Tobie (even though he looks alot like him) but he has put himself into my heart with his querky little things he does.

Quote:
This is so true and a lovely sentiment. I have cried and laughed at the same time at the thoughs and memories I have of Tobie but I wouldn't trade Scooter and Freak for anything in the world !!
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-07-2008, 12:26 AM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcole
I am sorry to hear about your kitty, I hope she recovers fully and will be there for you for many more years. Best of luck to you both!
Arianwen got better in a matter of just a few hours. Her pulse and breathing stabilized, she relaxed, and was so very affectionate. She was purring so loud and grooming me all over.

I think Sam (R.B. guardian angel kitty) told her it was not her time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page