Vet visits and cat bonds - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Vet visits and cat bonds

I was musing for a while today, remembering when I took Rotten in to get spayed. Anything that distresses one my pets is equally distressing to me--if they have stress then I've failed in my job, even if it's a necessary stress.

When I took my Rotten one in to get spayed, I had her in a carrier...she had one of my small blankets off of my bed with her, and I kept my fingers continually pushed through the grate so she could love on them, even rip and tear and chew as necessary...anything to make her happier. I was on the verge of crying because she was scared. I kept the carrier in my lap the whole time. I think we all know how much it hurts to turn our loved ones over to a vet...that's the worst part! How do we know that vet will love them when they're out of sight?

Seated next to me was another couple. They had a long haired white cat named, of course, Princess. She had a rhinestone collar on. Whereas my Rotten one was as close to me as I could get her, their Princess was in a carrier on the floor, half under the bench. They looked bored and disgusted that they had to be there for her. Princess was crying, she had no blanket or anything between her and the carrier floor. It was dirty. They talked between themselves on the bench, and Princess may have not existed at all. They were relieved when the vet finally took their squalling cat out of hearing range. And...Princess didn't cry to her humans, she just cried in general. Every cat I've known cried to their humans, because they trust their human to keep them safe.

I remember being so angry with them. They didn't care about their tiny soul mate sitting in that carrier. It could have been a rock in the carrier for all the attention they showed. I've never understood what it is with people...where do they get that attitude towards animals from? Is it parents? Culture? A lack of education in compassion? Is it their fault, or something else? Has anyone ever understood this?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 01:38 PM
Premier Cat

I know what you mean. I'm very sensitive to any stress I might be causing the kitty by taking him to the vet....but you know what, that isn't healthy either. I think some people are just more "supervisory" about things like that. They have more of a "I don't you don't like this, but it's what's happening" approach. How many times have you heard someone describe their cat doing something to resist them, and the person says, "Excuse me, I'm the boss here." I'm not like that, but a lot of people are.

So I'm not sure it's that they don't love the cat; they just have a less empathetic view of these things.

Holly and Murphy
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 02:44 PM
Banned

He he .... you should see me when I bring Mellie to the vet. She's so scared I hold her in my arms and she buries her whole head in the crook of my arms or under my armpit.. All you can see is a ball of multi-colored fur; I doubt if you could even tell it's a cat. Maybe she thinks if she can't see anybody they can't see her, either. It's really quite touching that she knows I will protect her.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 03:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by coaster
He he .... you should see me when I bring Mellie to the vet. She's so scared I hold her in my arms and she buries her whole head in the crook of my arms or under my armpit.. All you can see is a ball of multi-colored fur; I doubt if you could even tell it's a cat. Maybe she thinks if she can't see anybody they can't see her, either. It's really quite touching that she knows I will protect her.
Sweet. Thats exactly how Toby reacts too.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Aww If our spay & neuter clinic back home didn't frown on it so much, I would definitely keep my kitties in my arms the whole time!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 06:42 PM
Banned

Re: Vet visits and cat bonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrinityQuiet
...Seated next to me was another couple. They had a long haired white cat named, of course, Princess. She had a rhinestone collar on. Whereas my Rotten one was as close to me as I could get her, their Princess was in a carrier on the floor, half under the bench. They looked bored and disgusted that they had to be there for her. Princess was crying, she had no blanket or anything between her and the carrier floor. It was dirty. They talked between themselves on the bench, and Princess may have not existed at all. They were relieved when the vet finally took their squalling cat out of hearing range. And...Princess didn't cry to her humans, she just cried in general. Every cat I've known cried to their humans, because they trust their human to keep them safe.?
I've had some more time to think about this and I'd like to make a couple points. Of course, I wasn't there and I know a lot gets lost putting it into words, but the points that crystallized in my mind while thinking about this are:
1) we don't know what these people were thinking about their cat or what their attitude toward her was. The descriptions here of their thoughts and feelings are simply those imputed based on one person's interpretation of their actions and their demeanor. They did have their cat at a vet's office which at least suggests a certain level of reasonable and ordinary care.

2) we don't know either what the cat's thoughts and feelings were. Cats have a way of coming up with the most mournful and heart-rending sounds, but that doesn't mean a thing. A cat that sounds to a human like it's "crying" is just vocalizing. Perhaps the reason these people didn't pay any attention is because they knew that's what how their cat normally vocalized and so the cat's "crying" to them was just normal. Again this is imputing some meaning to a situation that we just can't be sure was really there.

3) saying that the cat just cried "in general" but wasn't crying to her humans, implying a lack of a bond between those people and the cat isn't something that can be inferred. Go back to #1 and #2. Rocket does a whole heck of a lot of this "crying in general" but that's just the way he is, and it doesn't mean a thing about our relationship.

It may very well be that Trinity read the situation correctly; I wasn't there. I just wanted to point out the limitations in reading something into a situation that might not at all be there. Without knowing the people and the cat involved, without talking to them to find out what was going on and what was going through their minds, there's no way of knowing, and therefore we really can't condemn them for some wrong we have no way of proving.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-10-2008, 01:22 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

You're right, those are all very fair points!

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-10-2008, 02:16 AM
Premier Cat

The few times I've had Arianwen at the vet I was too focused on her to pay more than passing attention to what the other pets and their people and were doing. I guess that in itself says something about the bond my kitta and I share.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-10-2008, 09:41 AM
Cool Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to mstx
munchkin likes her vet. The part she hates is the drive over there so I usually have my hubby or friend drive me so I can hold her on the ways there. I never take her into the in her cage I always hold her instead so that she is more comfortable
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-10-2008, 11:53 AM
Premier Cat

One of my kitties likes to be under the seat with the door facing the wall so he can't see what is going on. Others prefer me to have the crate on my lap with the door open and me talking to them. In my case it all comes down to personality.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page