UPDATE on patio cat. Vet just called. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-10-2008, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

UPDATE on patio cat. Vet just called.

The vet had quite a bit of information to share, and it's alot to digest, so I need some help with what to do.

Kitty is a neutered, declawed male, around 5 years old, and has no microchip. Vet said kitty is very thin, which we knew he was. His problems are: Very poor teeth, plaque build up, and missing several of them..........probably due to infection. Severe upper respitory infection also, and would need to be on antibiotics for at least two weeks. They hadn't tested for feline lequemia (sp?) yet because they are waiting for an answer from me as to what we want to do.

Here are my concerns. FIRST AND FOREMOST, the health of my current cats is my main priority. I will do what I can for him, within financial reason, using common sense, consider my husbands concerns, and following the guidence of my vet. The vet said he is unsure how bad the respitory infection is. He said that with cats, it can be a hard thing to get rid of the respitory issues 100%. Sometimes you think you've gotten it clear, and it comes back again. This scares me to bring this in to my home with having 3 very healthy kitties living here already. I know that some folks would do it in a heart beat, and without question, but I have to put my kitties health first. I don't know that I want to bring that it, and risk anything here.

My other concern is on top of everything else, if we can get him healthy, along with the intial costs of the vet bill, and vaccinations, he will need to have his teeth managed. On a quick estimate the vet gave, that will be around $150 for minimal work. If they have to do something more intense, it would be more. My husband will have an issue with the cost of all this, and he will not be happy at all, so I have to be realistic. Please don't think bad of me for that.

I asked the vet for his professional point of view, and he said he wouldn't risk bringing the kitty in to my home, with my other animals. He said he would call the local animal shelter for our county. That's just not an option as far as I'm concerned! The thing I don't like about that suggestion is that our local animal shelter is aweful! Just aweful! I would sooner put him humanely to sleep before bringing him there!

Would a rescue take in a kitty like this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-10-2008, 11:12 AM
Premier Cat

Re: UPDATE on patio cat. Vet just called.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwnedByACat
Would a rescue take in a kitty like this?
You could call. The only other option would be euth, it seems.
Poor boy, I hope someone at the rescue knows of a foster person who would take him.

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-10-2008, 11:42 AM
Premier Cat

Poor thing, I bet he hasn't felt good for a long time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-10-2008, 11:46 AM
Cool Cat

I have asked my husband to pay for an animals care as a birthday or anniversary present. He is a softie, so he did.

Would your vet consider keeping him until the URI cleared up? I don't know how much it wil cost though. It may break your budget - or the vet may give you a break.

Mom of
Skin kids - Jason, Kevin, Allison
Canine kids - Bennett & Bailey (always in our hearts), Riley, Banker, Rogue and Boz
Feline kids - Zoey, Talley and Abra
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-10-2008, 12:17 PM
Banned

I think my first priority would be to get the FeLV and FIV results and also do a full blood panel so you know the state of the liver, kidneys and immune system. What you have described could be due to either (or even both) of these viruses. FIV is not so bad and with work you might be able to get a FIV kitty well again (but only might - it depends on whether the FAIDS has kicked in - but the blood results will tell you that) BUT if its the FeLV, then your other babies would be at serious risk if you let this little one into your home. And the prognosis for a FeLV kitty is never good in the medium term (from what I understand anyway).

If he tests negative for the above, then I personally think trying to clear up the URI would be worth a shot and getting the teeth done. Expensive though - especiallty the teeth. Can you isolate him away from your other kitties in the apartment for a while? Or do you have any friends or relatives that might be willing to give him a temporary place to stay until you know what the likehood of him recovering is?

its a difficult situation thats for sure. Poor wee guy. But - my advice is - get the FIV/FeLV/blood results in. You will be in a better position to decide what to do when you know what you are dealing with.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-10-2008, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

I'm trying to reach my husband as he will have an opinion in this also, which I have to respect, and I know what he is going to say.

I called a couple rescues (that I could find information for), and neither was willing.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-10-2008, 12:35 PM
Banned

Quote:

I called a couple rescues (that I could find information for), and neither was willing.
Grr. Isnt this sort of situation exactly when rescue places are supposed to step in? I'm in contact with a number of shelters over here (I create the ads for rehoming) and I have heard of a large number of instances where rescue places take in and nurse kittes back to health before rehoming them. It makes no sense for a rescue place not to do that.

In my (very limited) experience, small independant shelters are more likely to want to help kitties in bad shape than the big 'national' ones. Its certainly the case over here.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-10-2008, 01:09 PM
Premier Cat

Geri, I do understand exactly what you're saying about considering your 3 kitties first and foremost. We love cats so we feel kind of guilty saying something like that, but I do think you have to draw a reasonable line about how much risk you're willing to subject them to. Having said that, I sure hope things end up going okay with porch kitty. I feel bad for him.

Holly and Murphy
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-10-2008, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Allie, the rescues I called were small private cat rescues. I refuse to take him to my counties shelter! I'd prefer not to have to take him to a humane shelter at all, but that may be the only option other than humane euthanization. I did talk to my husband and he said exactly what I thought he would say. First he said absolutely not to bringing him anywhere near our cats, and then he said he is not willing to take on the expense of the vet work. I have to respect his decision.

I do feel bad, very bad, he's a beautiful cat. I have to respect my husband, and protect our cats. I just hope that we won't be judged because of any decision we may or may not make.

ETA: I located a Persian rescue, but they are quite a ways away from me. It looks like they have fosters in several areas of the state. I've left a message, and hope to hear back from them soon. I'm going to try to leave kitty at the vet for a bit longer, and hope I hear back from the rescue soon.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-10-2008, 01:41 PM
Banned

IMHO bad teeth and a URI is not a good enough reason for putting a cat to sleep unless there are underlying reasons (like the FeLV). I guess your best bet is to keep trying to convince a shelter to take him in and nurse him back to health. Or convince the vet to hold him for a few days to see if someone answers the 'lost cat' poster. Worth a shot!

Otherwise I dont know. Poor little man. And poor you, having to make these decisions.

Quote:
I just hope that we won't be judged because of any decision we may or may not make.
I dont see why anyone would judge you by the way. You are doing the best you can with the resources that you have.

I'm actually rather annoyed. I keep seeing these statements now. People on this forum shouldnt have to say these things for fear of being attacked.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page