Raccons eating cat food/drinking water - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-10-2008, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Raccons eating cat food/drinking water

First it was the ants (I hired a professional to handle them) and now it is raccoons coming after my outdoor cats food and water at night. I have an electronic cat door and feed them in the garage but the raccoons have managed to defeat it. I think they may tease the cats and when the cats react by batting the door from the inside the raccoon grabs it and pulls it open. The next step may be a timer and a solenoid to lock the door during the nighttime hours when the raccoons roam. Anyone know of a source of something like this or have any other suggestions?

Charlie Stephens
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-10-2008, 04:44 PM
Premier Cat

Don't leave food out at night when those nocturnal animals are active and seeking food.

My outdoor/feral food was attracting 'possums and 'coons until I stopped leaving it out all night. I modified my feeding by only feeding small amounts only when I actually saw the cats and/or not leaving any food out overnight. Now my outdoor/ferals have tamed enough that they both come inside to eat and spend time indoors.
I do not leave food outside unless I am away from home and someone is coming in and caring for the animals for me.
Best of luck,
Heidi

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-10-2008, 05:19 PM
Premier Cat

When I was a teenager in north Metairie ages ago, 'possums and 'coons came and ate the kitties' leftovers, which was never much. The kitties had learned to not leave a lot.

Some of the 'coons actually tamed down enough to take bread from my hand through a narrowly opened sliding door. They would dip the bread in the cats' outdoor water. Very cute animals!
This was always after the kitties were in for the night.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-11-2008, 02:54 PM

We've been battling a 'possum for quite a while. We're going to try to trap it and move it somewhere. They're NASTY eaters. We have an outside cat (Marino) and a stray (YellaCat) that won't let us come near him, but we've been feeding him for nearly a year now!!!

It's aggravating. I already do what you guys have suggested, and he still comes by and sniffs around and still gets in their bowls to find whatever's left. Aaargh!

It's like CLOCKWORK. Every night between 10-10:30. I shoo him off with a broom everytime and he STILL comes back.

Yeppers. Gotta trap him.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 05:20 AM
Premier Cat

Same thing here. Raccoons and possums galore. We just pick up the food at night. It's safer for the cats and doesn't attract all the night time critters. They're quite smart and once the food isn't available anymore, they'll leave. Of course the cats are there every morning, by 9 am, tapping their toes! They adjusted very well to two feeding a day and they have dry throughout the day to graze on.
I don't see much point in trapping. You may get THIS one but others are sure to follow as long as food is available.

Victoria
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page