I need help - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-10-2008, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

I need help

I went to visit my 91 y/o grandpa this weekend. He has a stray unaltered female cat. Toots. She is so sweet. She got pregnet. Suprise, suprise. After my visit on Satruday I went back to see them once more before I left and Grandpa was gone to church.

Grandma was sitting on the porch I went up to join her for a little sittin' too. I looked out and about 20 ft from the porch was a little black and white kitten about 6 weeks old not moving. Grandma told me Grandpa had knocked it off the porch with a broom and killed it. I lost it. I cried. I went to the barn to get a shovel to bury the poor little angel, When I went to pick it up it moved a little. I really lost it then. I started cussing my grandpa and he was not there. I was so mad I felt sick. I could not bring myself to finish what he started. I told grandma I had to go.

As I was leaving grandpa came home. I did not know what to say and I wanted to punch him in the face. I told him the kitten you killed was still alive and you better go finish your job. He told me he had just wanted to push the kitten off the porch and really didn't mean to hurt it, to which I replied" bull****. I told him I had to leave before I said something I would regret for the rest of my life. He begged me not to hold it against him. I cannot forgive him for this. I will not. I want to call the sherriff and have him arrested. Unfortunatlly the small KY town where he lives would do nothing.

Now I am so depressed. I see that sweet little kitty every time I close my eyes. I cry three or four times a day over this murder. I can't eat. The rage is eating me up. I need to do something but I don't know what to do. I did have some wonderful hug therapy with Duchess when I got home.

One thing I did was to call my uncle and had him go and take Toots and the other kittens away. He adopted them all. I did not tell him why I wanted him to take them. I have never had anything like this happen to me before. I lost my Mother to cancer at 62 and it did not hurt me like this.

I am sorry for the rant but I don't have anyone else to share this with who would understand.

The more people I meet the more I love my cat!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-10-2008, 05:02 PM
Banned

I think perhaps we need to remember that when grandpa was a boy litters of kittens were routinely put down because back then not as many cats were sterilized. This would be especially the case if he had lived on a farm back then. And this is why we encourage all cat owners to have their cats spayed and neutered so there wouldn't be the problem of unwanted kittens.

I'm sorry you had to experience this, but please don't be permanently angry with your grandpa. It sounds like he was sorry and so I urge you to accept his regret and now go and make up with him.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-10-2008, 05:42 PM
Premier Cat

I don't know how old you are, but at 92 your Grandpa has lived a long life, and has seen many things. As Tim already said, he comes from a different point of view than you do.

I know that you are angry that he hurt the little one, but he did not mean to be cruel. You need to go and apologize to him. The anger you feel now will be nothing to the anger that you feel at yourself if he were to pass before you have had time to make things up with him.

This is one of life's great lessons- sometimes even when you are technically right you need to be humble and back down.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-11-2008, 02:50 PM

Hon, he may very well only meant to shoo it off the porch. It might have really been an accident. However if Grandmother *knew* it was dead, they should have done something about it and not left it there. THAT was very wrong.

Is he an angry person normally? Did they treat Toots well while she was there?

I'm so sorry. It's sad all around. Sometimes I wonder if elderly people need the added responsibility of pets if they don't have the, spayed/neutered.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-11-2008, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Yes he has a very quick temper. He will get mad in three milli secounds. He got mad at a beagle he had for crawling under the floor to stay warm in the winter and sacked her up and took her 50 miles down the read and dumped her out. He said he felt bad after that episode too. That was 15 years ago.
He has drowned other kittens and pups when he had a dog. Whacked a mule with a hammer... I guess thats why I am having such trouble with this.
I understand he's 91 but 91 or 41 there is no reason to abuse animals I don't care what you grew up thinking. I will forgive him sooner or later but I will never forget.

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-11-2008, 07:29 PM
Banned

Best do it sooner.....he hasn't got that much longer.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 08:43 PM

I dunno. I'm on YOUR side about this. It will be difficult to forgive him, and even though we all SHOULD be more forgiving in our lives - when you're talking about an innocent kitten, or donkey or puppy - I dunno.

It's hard enough talking to irate/cranky people on a good day - much less a 91 year old person. They are set in their ways and 99% of the time, the will NOT change their attitudes.

Regardless of the LAWS that were created to deal with animal abuse (which often times fly under the radar) most people KNOW that its MORALLY WRONG to do this.

Maybe remind him that you love him for WHO he is, but you can't respect him for what he's done - because he apparently sees nothing wrong with it.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 08:55 PM
Cool Cat

I dont know if i could ever forgive that. There are alot less vicious ways to get cats off your property... like pick it up and place it off of your porch.

Could anything be done for the poor little kitty, since he was still moving?

I couldnt get over seeing that either. I dont care how old and set in your ways you are... cruelty is cruelty. in this case extreme and useless cruelty. (but it never is useful i guess)

He wouldnt do that to a 4 week old baby... dont do it to a kitten. life is life. IMO. Not to even mention is was his own cats child, more or less. have a heart!
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 11:56 PM
Premier Cat

I just can't post the way I really feel about this.What your grandpa did was awful!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 12:30 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claiken
I
Could anything be done for the poor little kitty, since he was still moving?
No I don't think so it moved only a little. I still sudder when I think of it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page