I need to vent! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 01:59 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

I need to vent!

Sorry guys, I know there has been alot going on that I've hit you with these last 3 days, but I need to vent! I'm just so frustrated! A neighbor stopped by to talk tonight, and on the subject of cats, mentioned to me that "if I ever need to get rid of a cat, there is an amish farm just down from us that has a ton of cats, just drop them off there!" Oy! Even Dave had to bite his tongue on that one!

Since we moved here last October, there has been a new feral cat in our yard, and on our patios, nearly every week. Normally, and unlike todays friendly little kitty, they are so feral they take off at the first sight of a human!

I just almost feel, especially after finding kitty today, and after hearing the comment that was made, that this may be a losing battle. The people here are very very nice people, they have welcomed us in since we moved here, so I mean no disrespect toward anyone. I just really think for the people of this little community, this has just become such a normal everyday thing, and it's very sad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 02:05 AM
Super Moderator

That's very sad, Geri. I think I would have very innocently asked, "Gosh, why would anyone ever have to get rid of a cat?"

She probably tells other people to drop them off at YOUR house.

This does sound like a losing battle. You can't be responsible, emotionally or financially, for every single stray, especially since it seems so out of control. I think it's amazing how much you help the ones that you do.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 02:07 AM
Premier Cat

It's a shame if they've developed a cultural habit of 'dumping' strays.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 02:19 AM

I know what you mean, in the area around my boyfriend's farm in the country, they routinely drive around shooting foxes, and any cats they come across. I don't really understand why they would just shoot any cat they came across. I don't think they're big enough to take lambs. Sadly that's just the way with some people. I can't seem to change their minds about it.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 02:24 AM
Cat Addict

Re: I need to vent!

Oh my gosh! Your neighbors are a piece of work, I can't believe it!!
I am so sorry Geri, at this rate you are going to have to build a shelter for all the poor kitties

Maria
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 02:50 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypertweeky
at this rate you are going to have to build a shelter for all the poor kitties
Ummmm..........I think hubby would beg to differ!

A shelter about 35 min from us has a TNR program, but it's only for that county, and I don't believe I would be able to utilize the services because of funding limitations. Our counties shelter doesn't have any TNR program available, and I have been very unsuccessful at trapping any of the ferals anyway! Either the cats are way to smart for me, or I'm doing something wrong, because all I keep catching are gray and white kitties with pink noses, long curly tails, and VERY ugly teeth! Can you say "O-poss-um"? But.........I guess at least it isn't the kitties of a black and white color with the wonderful smelling perfume!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 09:03 AM
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwnedByACat
But.........I guess at least it isn't the kitties of a black and white color with the wonderful smelling perfume!
Pepe Le Pew!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2008, 01:56 PM

Ignorance isn't always bliss

I think there are certain people, who just don't get it and probably never will. It's sad really but all we can do is help the animals we can and move on.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2008, 06:13 PM
Premier Cat

I think the attitude is slowly changing but it comes with talking to people about S/N and how crewl it is to dump animals. Education education. I bet alot of these people havent heard another point of view. They may not accept it the first time they hear it but eventually it will sink in and make sense.

With the progress of the No Kill Movement we are making great strides. Heck Oprah had a show on S/N and puppy mills! They did mention that the amish view animals differently. They are one of the biggest producers of puppy mills in pensylvania.

Geri that has to be hard to know that there are all these dumped cats and nothing you can do about it. Here is your neighbor acting like it is OK to dump. Geri dont forget you are making a difference with adopting your kitties, helping patio kitty, helping those out there who are fostering and rescueing.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2008, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Thank you everyone!

Merry, I think you are right that education is the way to go. I'm not sure if I've seen attitudes changing, but you have so much more exposure than I do to working directly with people reguarding cats. I do know that the neighbor 2 doors down from me that I talked to yesterday, has so many of the same beliefs that I do, and is also a cat lover! It's nice to know that maybe we can work as a team to try to make even a slight difference in our little area. We shall see I guess!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page