Breaks my heart! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 08:17 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Breaks my heart!

I don't know why I subject myself to Craigslist, but I can't seem to stop myself from looking, even though we're happy (and full) with our two kitties and one dog (and a menagerie of other pocket pets and herps).

I just went through ONE day of postings for the metro Atlanta area and I see all these kittens and cats up for adoption/sale and it breaks my heart that there are so MANY kittens out there needing homes. Then I think of all the blessed kitties and humans here who have found each other. I hope that each and every one of these kitties on CL are one day as blessed as ours are.

I wish I could take them all. It just really drives home the importance of spaying and neutering our pets.

I look at Sammy, my big handsome boy at 8 months, but yet an adult looking kitty that no one wanted to adopt for months on end - and tomorrow will be two weeks since he came home and he's my heart kitty. I can't imagine my life without him now. And baby Lexi - cute as a button - who wormed her way into our hearts as well. My heart overflows with love for them both.

I got nostalgic yesterday for the kitties that came before them and have passed over to the rainbow bridge, and I can't help but think that THEY are the reasons I have these two precious kitties in my life today. I could have decided that the pain of losing them wasn't worth opening my heart to new ones, but I KNOW that they would want me to honor their memories by providing a loving home to other kitties.

Midnight, Shasta, Chynna, Tyranny - you will be in my heart forever! Thank you for the many, many years of love and friendship!

Sammy and Lexi - I can't wait for many, many years of snuggles, purrs and head butts - my sweet, sweet babies!

Thanks for letting me wax nostalgic!

Robin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 10:14 AM
Cat Addict

Robin, I think it does us all good to be a bit nostalgic about the kitties we have loved. At 51 my list of kittys is long, but they were all special. Someone on another list that I belong to advised me to take a lot of pictures of my cats so there will be those pleasent memories when they have gone. Obviously the people on this forum know that already because some of the pictures I have seen posted here are phenomenal.

In the last few days I have been looking on web sites similar to Craigs List. The pet "throw away" sites make me sad also. I would love to take all of the adult cats and give them a home. I hope to be able to choose just one cat some time soon but they all deserve to have someone who will love them. Your Sammy was so lucky to have found you.
Sue

Sue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 11:00 AM

I'm definitely not brave enough to browse the pet section of Craigslist; it would break my heart and I'd want to save them all. In a studio apartment, that would be crowded and smelly, lol.

And as for the cats in my life that have passed on.../sob

I lost the one that was nearest and dearest to my heart two years ago. I finally made the decision to put her to sleep after years of fighting a losing battle with cancer. She was 15 years old when I had her put down, horrifically underweight from all the vomiting. I don't think I've ever been so heartbroken over anything, as I'd picked her out myself when she was a kitten and I was just 5 years old.

I spent two years catless while I was recovering from my loss. Just recently I decided that I need a furry friend in my life, and that I can love a pet again with my whole heart. So I adopted a semi-feral kitten from my local animal shelter, and have fallen completely in love. I'm so glad to have Onyx, even though I know that years down the line, it'll kill me when she goes. =/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 02:49 PM
Cat

I would love to help every cat in need.

But I know I can't so I do the best I can for those less fortunate than my own 3 (all of which were unwanted rejects at one time).

I collect cans from home and my workplace for our local "no kill" Humane Society. I sell bits of spare veggies I grow to workmates too for the price of a small donation and when I drop them off I try to make a point and call in to talk to all the kittens and cats there.

My wife can't go in, it would upset her too much but I think that seeing someone different who communicates with them must at least be a break from the bordom of cage life

Then I go home and tell my 3 that they don't know how lucky they are.

And, in their own way they tell me that they DO.

Mick.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-14-2008, 10:12 PM
Premier Cat

I see it every day too, and it is very sad! There's one add in particular that just gets me. It has been posted twice, because the person is having a hard time moving the kittens. The add says "Has To Go Now!" It's sad.

I also see on other forums I belong to, where people post photos of their kittens and mommas, without any reguard to having the mommas fixed. Some offer their barn kittens for free. Some people grab them up, and take the whole group for barn cats. I always wonder how many of them will actually be fixed, or will they just keep producing, and continuing the bitter cycle?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 12:20 AM
Cool Cat

It's a very sad thing that I try not to think about.

Someone told me a while back that at a business convention this idiot was bragging about how he made a fortune running a business that bought kittens for $2 each (under the premise of being used as mousers for a large farm) and then sold them to a large animal testing facility for profit.

When I chose Barnaby he was my 3rd choice at the shelter but the other 2 ahead of him were pending adoption so I adopted him. Not that the other 2 cats wouldn't have made great pets, but I can't imagine not having adopted him. Baxter is a good cat even though he's a little wacky

It hurts to think of how many more wonderful pets are homeless, put down, abused, etc...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page