Rescue kittens, UPDATE 16 Jun - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Rescue kittens, UPDATE 16 Jun

Last night I went to view a litter of kittens with a view of picking two. They are barn kittens, and were going to be pts (very euphamistic there... farmers wont pay for vets to euthanise barn kits). When we got to see them they were all in a very sorry state with severe eye infections.

Not being able to stand to see them suffer I picked three, and my friend ended up picking two. We whisked them to the vet (which they were most unhappy about) where they were given an antibiotic jab, another jab and a wormer by injection, eyes swabbed and antibiotic drops in eyes. Then they were sprayed all over with Frontline as they all have raging fleas.

We were told that they are only about 4 to 5 weeks old, so we also have kitten replacement milk to give them.

One of my trio immediately earned the name "Tiger" because he was all growly and yelling at the vet constantly.

Another of my trio, a tortie, is very sick. She was very listless, and uninterested in anything. I was seriously concerned that she wouldn't make it through the night.

However this morning, she was still with us, and with all three I managed the rounds of eye swabbing, eye drops and attempted bottle feeding, though none of them were interested. (They were eating solid food (kibble) at the barn, so I'm not too sure about trying to go back to them suckling) I left the KRM on a saucer, and the last of the trio (who I named Domino) was happily lapping it.

Tiger and Domino were definitely feeling better this morning, and were strong enough to play together, though Domino is the more precocious.

Any healing vibes you can send my three kitties, but especially for Panaché (the smallest and sickest) would be very much appreciated.

Tiger is at the back with Panaché lying down

Tiger and Panaché snuggled up together:

Domino:

I am aware that they are very young, and they may not survive, but I'm rooting for them. I certainly couldn't leave them in the barn suffering away, just to die by themselves!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 09:36 AM
Jr. Cat

Bless their hearts! I'll be rooting for them - at least now they are getting the best care that they possibly can!

Robin
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 11:43 AM
Premier Cat

Poor, pitiful things. Thank you for taking them out of that situation. Many prayers for them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 11:51 AM
Senior Cat

We're rooting for you, over in Canada!

Don't fret! We got a similar, 5 week old (taken from his mom at THREE WEEKS and fed nothing but wet food) kitten, with a raging infection, and although he DID stop eating after 3 days with us, we force fed him KMR mixed with a high-high-high fat wet food, and he made it!

We really didn't think he was going to make it for the first week, but we force fed with a syringe, it was warmed too, the mix every couple hours (he was left alone while we were at work) when we were home.

He's now a huge fluffy baby. I will post pictures before and after when I get home tonight to get your spirits up!

One thing. We noticed he really started to get better when he was in bed with us every night. Dunno why.. but that was the turn around.

Goodluck! *fingers crossed and kisses for the kittens!*

Kelly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 12:13 PM
Tom Cat

This is a great thing you are doing. Prayers and well wishes for you and the trio.

The more people I meet the more I love my cat!

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 08:14 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Sorry for no updates. I have no computer at home (hopefully it's getting fixed!)

Both sad and happy updates.

Very sadly Panachés condition continued to deteriorate and on Saturday morning she started to have seizures, so after taking her back to the vets we decided that the kindest thing to do would be to euthanise her :'( I'm pleased that, at least, for the last 24 hours of her life she was warm, cared for and loved.

The two others, on the other hand, are going from strength to strength, and Domino (the black and white kit) is turning into a proper ebil attack cat. She takes great pleasure in trying to climb up my legs and 'killing' every dust mote in sight. tiger is a bit behind, he still has pretty severe corneal ulcerations (they both have feline herpetic conjunctivitis), but they are getting better day by day, and he is now starting to play too, which is very heartening to see.

Anyway... updated photos:

Just for scale. I wear a size 5 boot, and Domino is the larger of the two kittens (from Friday night):

Saturday consisted mainly of just sleeping:

But by Sunday they were much more lively!

Domino attack kitten!

Domino looking especially cute!

After all that activity they were completely worn out

Tiger is still much quieter than Domino, which is why there aren't as many photos of him. But he is starting to come into his own. He is a proper feisty barn kit, and hisses and growls at me every time I get near him. Unfortunately he (as well as wiggly squirmy Domino) still has to have eyes swabbed and antibiotic drops in three times a day, so I'm not his favourite person... until he's sleepy, when he will curl up on my chest and snooze!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 09:14 AM
Premier Cat

What a great thing you are doing!!! I'm so happy you have the babies!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 09:19 AM
Premier Cat

They really are coming along nicely. I am sorry about the little one that passed.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page