Thunderstorms - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Thunderstorms

Having a lovely thunderstorm here tonight and are supposed to have them all weekend. Not bad for me as I love to sit and watch them and love the smell the rain leaves after its over but for the babies its ****.

Drifter has gone into his usual mode of "I NEED TO HIDE RIGHT NOW!" HE has in the past scrapped all the skin off his muzzle trying to crawl under a closed closet door when no one was home. We now either sit with him on the couch and let him curl up in out lap and try to hide behind us or place him up in the bedroom where he sticks his head under the bed or hides in the walk in closet.

Bosco is sitting on the stairs looking all freaked out and just when he starts to come back down boom thunder and lightening and up he goes again in a flash. He'll sit up there for a bit meowing frantically and then repeat the process again with coming down and then streaking back up there again.

Reyna sits by the back sliding doors and tries to catch the lightening. But when the thunder hits she goes running into the kitchen and right into the recyling box! She'll then come running back out within seconds, chrip and try to catch lightening before streaking off again at the thunder. I think she thinks it's a game of sorts lol.

Any of your animals react to thunderstorms?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 11:26 PM
Cool Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to mstx
munchkin has to be near one of us but doesnt really freak out. Havent had one with Izzy yet
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 11:48 PM
Premier Cat

Arianwen used to get scared and snuggle next to me during the storms, but now she seems calmer, and just sits near me for some petting. I softly tell her, "You're safe here with me. The lightning can't hurt you here in our house, baby.", and she just purrs and purrs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2008, 12:02 AM
Premier Cat

Surprisingly, none of ours care about T&L. Q (horse) will stand quietly in her barn, watching. The cats either sleep or just go about their business; eating, washing or lounging. BooBoo will get wide-eyed once in a while, but a few calming strokes of petting and soothing words quiets him down. None of them run/hide at either the flashes of light or the booms/cracks of thunder, though I jump at the loudest cracks.

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2008, 12:33 AM
Jr. Cat

Diamond the dog sometimes gets mildly stressed and just goes and lays quietly in the bathroom. If we're in bed though, she'll either be on the bed or laying beside the bed - just being with us is calming to her.

We've only had one mild thunderstorm since Sammy and Lexi came home and neither one of them seemed phased by it. But it was also occuring during a favorite time of theirs, so I guess they associate it with positive things so far (we have an evening ritual of treats when mom comes to bed).

Robin
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2008, 12:46 AM
Banned

I was talking about this very subject with someone I know here who also has cats (and a small dog) and we agreed thatk when pets encountered something new they have no concept of they take their cues from their people. So if, when it's thundering and lightening outside, and their people are cool and calm and don't make a fuss about it, after a while they won't either. This is what I've done with my cats, and it worked. Usually they don't even hardly bother waking up. Yesterday was unusual as I was quite concerned about the weather and my cats could tell somethiing was different, so they were pretty hyper.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2008, 12:59 AM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by coaster
...they take their cues from their people. So if, when it's thundering and lightening outside, and their people are cool and calm and don't make a fuss about it, after a while they won't either.
Absolutely! With my horse, if we don't care about any new/scary (traffic, flames, sparks, air compressor, nailgun, saws, helicoptors...she isn't afraid of anything) situations...she doesn't either.
I'm not sure how the cats grew to be so calm during T&L because I am completely NOT used to them at all and I don't know how they could become calm by taking cues from me. Maybe I mask my anxiety well...?
All of our cats who came here from the West Coast could not be used to T&L, so maybe since they didn't know what it was, they just didn't associate fear with it and any new cats took their cues from them?
I know our dog greatly disliked storms and she would have been a quivering mess with the T&L here in the SouthEast. She was euth/buried a year before we moved and I am glad she didn't have to suffer thru any T&L storms here, they would have unhinged her.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2008, 01:26 PM

Daizy goes and hides. She walks on her belly well crawls on her belly until she finds a safe place. Then if the next thunder clap is really loud she moves to another place. Aramis doesn't care. He sits and laughs at Daizy I think. Course right now he's chasing his tail on a table in my room . Hardly anything phases this cat!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2008, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

When the storm ended Bosco ran to the sliding glass doors and started to "dig" at them meowing frantically. Not sure what that was about but then he went and laid down on the couch and didn't move for the rest of the night. Supposed to get another storm today, maybe if I sit with him on the couch and pet him he'll calm down a little.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2008, 08:33 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac*
When the storm ended Bosco ran to the sliding glass doors and started to "dig" at them meowing frantically. Not sure what that was about but then he went and laid down on the couch and didn't move for the rest of the night. Supposed to get another storm today, maybe if I sit with him on the couch and pet him he'll calm down a little.
Bosco wanted to go out and see where the storm went. And yes if you sit with him and softly talk to him he'll calm down a lot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page