Tonight may be the big night! Babies incoming now!! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 05:04 PM Thread Starter

Tonight may be the big night! Babies incoming now!!

Ok, so her tail is constantly wet, she's licking herself, she inspected all the places we prepared for her, she's drinking alot of water, she's restless all around the house... I prepared all the necesary places with newspapers and towels, water is close by for her, food also. I think tonight may be the lucky night! I'm soooo anxious, i'm following the cat around everywere, i'd scared that she might have the kittens somewere along the way, or in the halway. Help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 05:39 PM
Premier Cat

Good luck!! Maybe give her a little space to see if she finds a spot where she wants to nest?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

she's just running around, keeps peeing alot, comes to me for petting and meows at me... it's gonna be a long night
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 07:08 PM
Cool Cat

Pick the spot that you like best and sit beside it. If she goes in there, give her some love rubs, but not too many.

Mom of
Skin kids - Jason, Kevin, Allison
Canine kids - Bennett & Bailey (always in our hearts), Riley, Banker, Rogue and Boz
Feline kids - Zoey, Talley and Abra
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 07:40 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuropeanFluffy
she's just running around, keeps peeing alot, comes to me for petting and meows at me... it's gonna be a long night
Sounds like she's a first-time mother looking to her trusted human for guidance and reassurance. I agree with Mom of 4, pick a spot, or make a birthing box lined with clean, old blankets and coax her to go in it. She'll get the idea.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 12:30 AM Thread Starter

one baby came out, but has this wierd thingy still atached to it. what do i do?

post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 12:46 AM
Premier Cat

That's the placenta, also called afterbirth. It is the mother cat's instinct to eat it. I think you should allow her to do that natural behavior.
The kitten is soo CUTE!!!!!!!
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 12:55 AM Thread Starter

yes, but it's been a few hours since the baby was born, shouldn't she have eaten it already?
she came out of the closet, when the baby meows she gows in and looks curiosly. But that's pretty much it i guess.
her belly is still very big, and i can fill something inside still, evan though she gave birth to the little one at 4 am (it's 7 am now)
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 01:04 AM
Premier Cat

Sometimes it can take as long as 8 hours for a kitty to finish giving birth. She probably feels very uncomfortable and doesn't know why, poor thing. Try to get her to lay down so the new kitten can nurse a little.

Be gentle with her.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 01:09 AM
Premier Cat

I would put her IN the closet. If she needs you in there with her to feel comfortable, sit in there with her. I feel she needs to be contained close to her kitten to get her mothering instincts to kick in. I certainly hope she has let the newborn nurse. If she won't remove the placenta, I don't know what the proper course of action should be...a horse's umbilical cord breaks when the foal tries to stand up, but I don't think this would work for a kitten and it could take much too long for the cord to dry and fall off on it's own. You may need to call a vet to find out what to do for sure.

Just an observation... I would remove the stacks of clothing that kittens can burrow into, sweaters that kitten claws can get caught in and make a proper 'nest' with sides at least 6" higher than the bedding that little kittens can't crawl out of so all the kittens remain contained in one area. The nest should be large enough for mother cat to lay stretched out in and have room for her to maneuver around her kittens when she cleans them and/or first gets in and they begin to crawl round in search of her. Cardboard boxes work well when lined with a soft layer of easily laundered bedding or a medium/large cat carrier you can lift the lid off for easy access...though I don't particularly care for using carriers because a kitten can crawl out the low part of the door opening and get away from the nest.

Very good luck to you and the new family!
Heidi

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page