moving from WI to TX - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 11:07 PM Thread Starter

moving from WI to TX

I'm moving from Wisconsin to Texas in the fall, and I was just curious what would be the best possible way to transport my two cats across the country. I have harnesses for both of them and carriers. I wasn't planning on stopping anywhere and staying the night, considering the drive is going to be about 18 hours and I want this trip to be as stress-free as possible. Any advice would be welcome and appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 04:25 AM
Premier Cat

If you aren't going to be stopping I would have them in carriers which had a small litter pan, as well as some food and water. They should be ok in there for the trip.

Don't forget to make sure that the carriers are secure so they cant slide around. Oh, and bring their vet records.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 06:09 AM

make sure they have plenty of water too
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 12:49 PM
Cool Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to mstx
Have you ever driven across TX? It takes for ever!!!!! Seriously you will want to make a stop and relaxe for a hour or two. My family went to Alabama for a week and it took longer to get out of TX than to cross lousianna and alabama
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 03:17 PM
Premier Cat

This wont help your ride but make sure they are chipped and have collars and tags on. Put an article with your familar smell on it in your carriers. You could spray Feliway spray in their carriers to help in them staying calm. Have a safe trip! Thats gona be a heck of a ride!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 05:54 PM
Premier Cat

When we moved from WA state to Georgia, it took 9 days. 3 of which, where just for Texas.
We drove (U-Haul) south through Oregon and California to pick up an RV, which we transferred the cats into for the trip. They spent the driving time hiding under blankets, only coming out at night when we stopped for rest, to eat/drink and use the litterbox. We watched the windows/doors closely at every stop.

I would suggest large carriers for each cat so they can lay comfortably and have a litterbox and food/water available. I would NOT recommend opening their crate doors unless fully contained and enclosed; hotel room, hotel bathroom or a rest stop bathroom with doors you can lock and has no places for cats to escape/hide. I would not recommend doing this in your car in case the cat gets away from you and hides in the car. (Sis had a cat get stuck under a seat and had to take the car to a dealership for them to remove the seat and free the cat. Moral: keep them in carriers!) I would not trust only the harnesses to keep them with you in these situations, though they can be helpful in retrieving the cat from under beds or behind furniture.

Take also a flyer with color photo of each cat, just in case. Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. Good luck with your trip. I think Fall through Spring is the best time of year (cooler weather) for traveling with pets.
h

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 12:29 AM
Banned

Wisconsin loses another due to high taxes.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 06:32 PM
Premier Cat

But wisconsin has great roads and wonderful state parks. Atleast you see results of your taxes. We dont! All of ours goes down the tubes dealing with the illegals and drugs running thru here.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 10:37 PM
Banned

Ya, that's really disgusting. But we've got those here, too. And the roads aren't what they used to be. And those quaint little waysides -- they're almost all gone.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 11:15 PM
Premier Cat

The waysides were charming.. slow down and enjoy the beauty of the trip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page