Cats and baby - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 07:54 AM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Cats and baby

Hi

I've not been on for a long time but I need some help. I'm pregnant (due in September) and I am about to go mad with everyone's views on our cats. We have four indoor kitties, the eldest being with us for nearly 5 years now. I am fed up with so many peiople expecting me to get rid of the cats before the baby arrives or hearing a thousand horror stories of cats suffocating new borns, biting them, clawing them etc. Would love to hear how all the people parents coped having furry and non furry babies! Thanks in advance

Claire x
There are many intelligent species in the universe. They are all owned by cats!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 03:23 PM
Premier Cat

Those are old wives tale. Shame on them for spreading them. You will teach your baby to respect the kitties when he gets to grabbing stage so not to worry.

My siamese cat (when I was growing up) let the neighbors toddler drag him by the tail and he did nothing. Its like he knew.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 03:44 PM
Senior Cat

My kids grew up with cats ..... I now have 12 cats and my 3 month old grandaugter and her parents are with us .... and we have no problems at all.

These are all old wives tales and a load of hooey.

2 boxers Miki & Monty
Boy Cats: Tucker,Freeway,Tyson,Copicat,Mike
Girl Cats : Magic, Garfield, Buggie,Lexie,Spike,Ginger,Blue,Spooky,Rotten, Trouble
Strays: Charlie
2 Conures,2 African Greys,1 Black winged Jardine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 04:59 PM
Senior Cat

Send a message via AIM to chaoticborders
Congrats on the new baby!

Don't listen to them!
I'm not a parent, but I have little ones over at my house ALL the time. My 3 year old cousin has been visiting and staying weekends since she was born, my best friend is always staying over with her 17 month old.
If anything I have to protect the kitties, lol!
Kids and animals are a great thing.
I've got 16 indoor cats (11 permanents and various fosters going in and out)

Heck, I grew up with lots of cats, I can't remember any attempted suffocations...
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 05:28 PM
Premier Cat

Those folks are just repeating old wives' tales they have heard. They should know better.

Shame on them!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 05:29 PM
Premier Cat

Complete old wives tale! It's such a shame that people still pass these stories on as many people believe them an dump their cats.
My parents had cats when my brothers and I were born and and we were just fine...as others have mentioned, we were much harder on the cats as we grew up then they ever were on us!
I've never heard of an instance of a cat suffocating an infant or causing them any harm whatsoever.
The only thing to be mildly concerned about is toxoplasmosis. Cats can become infected with it from eating infected raw meat or pray and it can potentially be passed to you through feces. It isn't very common and it isn't very easy to get but, while you're pregnant, it isn't a bad idea to not clean the litter box or to wear rubber gloves and a mask while you do, especially if your cats go outside. I'd just get hubby do it for awhile. You can also get toxoplasmosis from gardening, eating under cooked or raw meat, unwashed vegetables and a myriad of other sources, so there's no need to look cross eyed at your cat!
Congratulations on the new baby!!

Victoria
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 05:51 PM

I'v always understood that myth of smothering started because of Cats licking milk off a babys' face or jumping in the cradle with baby but these stories come from hundreds of years ago when animals and people lived together in cramped, small houses with little sanitation and high infant mortality -cats were considered to blame for a lot of things.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 06:22 PM
Cat Addict

The only thing to think about is making sure your kitties aren't too jealous or upset at the family changes because of the new baby when he/she arrives! That will manifest in the usual cat stuff like peeing out of the box , bickering among former cat buddies, etc.

I would read up on how to introduce your kitties to a new family member - like letting the kitties smell an item of the baby's clothing while you are still away at the hospital (if you are doing a hospital birth), giving them some special time with you when you can, after the baby is home. That was the one thing I didn't do when we brought our baby son home when we had our previous kitty years ago. I think it broke our girl Nikki's heart and I still feel bad about it, fourteen years later! The poor kitty. We didn't know any better back then.

Fran
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 11:21 PM
Cat Addict

Re: Cats and baby

My friend Tracy is pregnant with her third child, she has 5 cats and her kids: 2 and 4 are doing great.
As long as you cat proof the baby's bottle, toys, his area in general he/she will be fine!
Oh congrats!!

Maria
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Thanks. It just angers me why folk think cats are disposable. They are wonderful around my friend's kids. My two girl cats even lie with their heads on my bump, purring away like mad. I'll make sure I spend extra cuddle time with them when the baby arrives. They'll probably be too busy playing in the boxes the baby stuff gets delivered in my dad feels I should shut them out of our bedroom incase they go in beside the baby but they have slept on our bed for 5 years! I don't want to shut them out. Anyone else let their cats in the room the baby is sleeping in?

Claire x
There are many intelligent species in the universe. They are all owned by cats!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page