dog sitting - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

dog sitting

I will be dog sitting my friend's dog for a whole week starting tonight, the dog is a puppy some sort of terrier mix. I watched her for 2 days a few weeks ago and while Neko got used to her pretty fast (still hissed when she came up and sniffed him but stopped running away from her) Willie was miserable and spent the whole time hiding. He even hissed at nothing for a while. The minute she left he was back to normal. I am worried about him for this week, I had already told her I would watch the dog long before I knew how Willie was going to react so I felt it was too late to back out. I've decided that until Willie gets used to the dog I am keeping all three of them in my room so that Willie cannot just hide and not come out the entire week. Anyone know what else I could do to help Willie?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 12:56 PM
Premier Cat

Give Willie a safe place to get away from everything. Let him take it at his own pace, even if it means he never gets used to the dog.
Have fun pet-sitting the puppy.
h

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

The biggest problem is all the cat's stuff (food, litter box, cat tree) is in my room and the puppy is going to be leashed to me at all times (he's not potty trained yet so he can't be out of sight) so if Willie decides to hide in mom and dad's room again I'm afraid he won't come down to potty (I mean I can bring food up and all that stuff but the potty is more difficult since it is my parent's bedroom and I doubt they will like the idea). my father already has told me several times how I don't care about my cats and am cruel for doing this, i feel awful enough as it is, i really do wish I could get him used to this dog. i mean when we got Willie we had a dog, a large dog, named max who passed away three months later. My aunt and uncle's dog phoebe (small dog) comes over every day and they are absolutely perfect with her.

do you think if I put Phoebe, Willie and Neko in my room for a little bit and then discreetly brought the puppy in it would work any better since i don't know, she'd blend in and be just another one like Phoebe. plus the pup would be distracted by Phoebe. then I do run the risk of her barking during play with Phoebe but she usually does not do that too badly during play.

I'm just really worried about Willie he's SUCH and outgoing cat that when he acts so scared it's a big shock. They haven't trained the pup much either so my clicker is going to be in my hand the whole time so I can click and treat her for all good behavior and hopefully stop her from any further barking early on.

i am glad we have the cat tree now, at least her can get way up high, before he would go on the dresser and she could get the tip of her nose up there when she stood on her hind legs, now he will be completely too high for her which is good. I'll probably feed them on that too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 05:20 PM
Premier Cat

I'm sorry, the situation is not ideal. Your poor cat has no where to go to get away from the puppy, is either being forced to share space with the puppy or is being pushed out of 'his' space and will not be able to get attention from you if the puppy is your constant companion.
I think your cat is going to be miserable for a week, no matter how you contain them. I would not force him to share space in a small room with an animal he is frightened of.
Make sure wherever the cat goes, he has access to food, water and a litterbox. If not, your parents may have to deal with some accidents if he won't use his usual litterbox because of the puppy. Surely they could deal with a litterbox in their room or bathroom for a week?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page