Cost of cat food! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Cost of cat food!

Okay, so after all I've read on here and on Dr. Pierson's site, I have decided to try switching to wet food. So I wrote down some recommendations and found Newman's Own at, of all places, WalMart! I bought a little 3 oz can and Zander ate it all. It says to feed 2 cans/day while a kitten. So my problem is...

How do you afford it?!?!

It was $1.10 for one small can at WALMART! I can't imagine finding it much cheaper anywhere else. So if he eats 2 cans per day, that's over $15/week! That seems like A LOT of money to spend on cat food! Is it cheaper to buy in bulk or online or something?!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 05:02 PM
Cat Addict

I buy in bulk online from petfooddirect.com There is a 20% discount code you use at checkout. I can't remember off the top of my head, but I'll find it and post it here for you. Its still not cheap, but I figure I'm saving on vet bills in the long run.

Rachael with Thurston, Sully and Ninja.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Puzzles and Tyler, Gone but never forgotten
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 05:39 PM
Cat Addict

Some tips: the manufacturers almost always recommend too much food in their calculations - huge quantities! Once your kitty is past the growing kitten stage, you can adjust how much you feed by how active your kitty is, whether your kitty appears to be gaining weight or maintaining a good weight, etc.

Also, the bigger cans are usually more economical - sometimes only about $0.25 more for a 5.5 oz can than a 3.5 oz, and the food keeps in the fridge if you use one of those pet food lids. You can often get a few dollars off if you buy a case - twelve or twenty-four cans at a time. With all these tips in mind, you can reduce the cost of food to a dollar or less a day - that's not so bad!

Fran
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 04:22 AM
Tom Cat

This is kind of corny but the price of wet is better than the price of a vet. Bulk will always be cheaper. I would even look into 13oz cans.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 05:38 AM
Premier Cat

Yea, bulk is the key. I get a case of the 13 oz cans of Wellness and it's $1.60 per can. That's 2 1/2-3 days of food (they also get some raw and occasional kibble too). You really need to shop around though. Another pet store in my neighborhood charges $1.89 per can with no case discount. Ouch! If he's not devoted to Newman's Own yet, you can also try another good quality food like Natural Balance which is about .79 cents per 6 oz can here. Also Eagle Pack is comparatively inexpensive here, although I know in other places it's pricey. So I'd do some comparative shopping.
Kittens really need a lot of food. Mine got at least 4-5 meals a day until they were 6-9 months and then I tapered off to 2 meals and a snack when they were about a year. Each cat is a little different. So while he's a kitten, it will cost a little more to feed him but an average adult cat usually needs between 4 and 6oz per day.
A couple of other things to keep in mind that may make you feel better: as others said, it's way cheaper than the vet bills and, although it may seem like you're paying more for wet food, I found my cats eat much less than they did on dry, so it really does pretty much even out. Also, all the other benefits (silkier coat, less shedding, less weight issues and a more active all around healthier cat) are well worth it!

Victoria
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 07:17 PM

Another vote for the wellness 13oz cases. I pay $1.70 or so as well. It lasts just over one day for two flabby-flab cats.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 10:38 PM
Cool Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to mstx
Theres a new food at Wal-mart thats only 98 cents a can thats good for cats too now
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Well I sucked it up and paid $1.79 for EVO cans! Their "staple" flavor was $1.29 and that flavor was also available in a larger can. I just bought one of each flavor to see what he likes. I don't think he's picky. You all convinced me it was worth it!!
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 12:07 AM
Senior Cat

Ha! We pay $2.19 per can of EVO and $2.99 per can of Wellness (which we no longer buy).

It sucks, but we're slowly but surely getting everyone on ground raw! MUCH cheaper. $2/lb right now, and when I make my own, probably less than that.

Kelly

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 06:36 AM
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzby
raw! MUCH cheaper. $2/lb right now, and when I make my own, probably less than that.
I make my own for about $1.10/lb but I have to do some ebay shopping for the supplements in order to keep the cost down. Others can make it cheaper than that because of cheaper meats in their area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page