Cat loves to lick plastic bags - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

Cat loves to lick plastic bags

Hey everyone...Grissom loves to lick plastic bags...never really looked to much into it...still dont but does anyone know if this is something other cats do or why?

He does not eat it just licks them....he likes the ones from the grocery store.....its not the food in it becuase he snubs his nose at anything that is not his normal food...so I have no idea....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 06:02 PM
Super Moderator

Cali does the same thing and it drives me bonkers! I used to put her in her room until I put everything away, but now I just unbag everything as fast as I can so I can throw the bags away. It is the most irritating sounds, plus, well, just ewwwwwwwwww!

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 06:29 PM

Talullah tears them up - if it's plastic, she'll tear them up!!! She also shreds newspaper! Weird.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 06:32 PM
Senior Cat

Send a message via AIM to chaoticborders
Yep, most of my cats do that They all LOVE to scratch them. My bridge kitty Critter would put her head through the loop of the handles and walk around proudly wearing the bags as a "cape"

Cow will chew on any kind of loud plastic. I think they like the noise
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 08:58 PM
Cool Cat

My cats also are addicted to them but they will actually eat them so it's a problem. Their favorite ones are from the hallmark store and Barnes and Noble. I was told it's because they are made with fish oil but I don't know if that's true.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 09:04 PM
Cool Cat

Macy likes to lick plastic bags. That is a big no no here though because of all the allergies she has. I no longer take plastic bags into my room unless I am putting them up so she can't get to them.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 10:06 PM
Cat Addict

Plastic bags are made with animal fats, we can't smell them, but you know our olfactory superior felines can.

Rachael with Thurston, Sully and Ninja.

Puzzles and Tyler, Gone but never forgotten
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 01:50 AM
Premier Cat

None of mine lick the plastic bags, but Patches always licks windows, mirrors, and all of a sudden.........the bathroom door! That's an EWWWW!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 10:46 AM
Cat

Alvin had a bad experience with a plastic carrier bag when he was a kitten.
He'd been playing with a brown paper bag, jumping in and out of it, the usual fun and games.
Well, he must have tried to do the same with the plastic carrier and got it stuck around himself. He panicked, ran into the bathroom and was so frightened he peed on the floor.
I felt so sorry for him when I found out what had happened but 3 years later he's still giving them a wide berth.
I try not to leave them around any more, I'd hate for one of them to get stuck inside one and get frightened, or worse.

Mick.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 11:05 AM

I'm just afraid our cats will try to eat a piece and choke. I try to never leave anything plastic like that around for them to play with. Better safe than sorry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page