May need to re-home my kitty Scooter ... :*( - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 11:19 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to MissAnne2u
May need to re-home my kitty Scooter ... :*(

I may need to find a new home for Scooter. He nearly burned our house down today.

As you may know, he attacked one of my lizards on Saturday morning. The lizard was in the "Hospital" tank healing. I had one of those 36" long R-Zilla light fixtures on the top and Scooter knocked it off onto the carpet where it proceeded to catch my carpet on fire and burn a 36" long x 8" wide square in my carpet and where the bulbs were, there are two 4" circles burned all the way down to the floorboards.

Thank god my hubby was home, smelled the smoke and burning and put the fire out before it got out of control. (What scares me is the smoke detectors didn't go off)

I just don't know what to do about Scooter. He has too much wild in him and really needs to be in a Cat Only home with no other small animals. He attacks his catnip mice like they were real, carries them around then proceeds to bit their heads and tails off. He has destroyed over a dozen Da Bird attachments in the past 8 weeks.

I've tried spaying him with water when he gets near the lizard enclosures, batting him on the head and saying "NO", but nothing is working.

Sorry to ramble on, I'm just so confused on what to do about my kitty. I know it's not really his fault, it's instinct to try and catch little critters. But its now going to cost me a fortune to get new carpeting plus the Urgent care visit (nearly $300) for the lizard. And if he gets as big as the vet says he 'may' get (up to 35-40 #'s) I just can't have a cat that big in my small house.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 11:22 PM
Super Moderator

Does your vet have any advice? Medication? Have you tried the Feliway sprays or anything like that?

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 11:38 PM
Premier Cat

When I had Sam, (R.B. kitty) there was a point when I thought I'd have to re-home him. He was over 20# and kind of wild, tearing up the apartment. But after much soul-searching, I realized I couldn't be without my sweet, but crazy, big kitteh.

I was determined to keep him, and we reached an understanding. It took a lot of patience, but he and I learned to get along. I learned that he needed a lot of play time, and he learned that he shouldn't tear up the house.

Now he is a kitty guardian angel, and he's still in my heart.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 11:45 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie73
Does your vet have any advice? Medication? Have you tried the Feliway sprays or anything like that?
I haven't talked to the vet yet about Scooter .... that was my next path to take. I've been using Water w/ some lemon in it to spray him with, but he just licks it off. I'll have to look for some of those sprays that keep cats away from stuff.

Please don't get me wrong, I love Scoots to death, he can be the sweetest kitty, licking my face, purring like a Harley and sleeping on my dresser watching over me at night when I sleep. I will try anything and everything to keep him in my life.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 11:58 PM
Super Moderator

I rehomed a kitty that was mean to Cinderella so I would never, ever judge anyone for doing the same. Sometimes it just doesn't work out, as much as we love them. Some cats truly do believe in "must be only cat" homes.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 12:17 AM
Premier Cat

I really don't think your Scooter could reach 35-40# unless he became an overfed blimp. 20 is certainly reasonable, even up to 24 can be a 'healthy' weight for a large housecat, but I feel 35/40 is just way too much to expect out of a housecat. However, IF he ever does reach that kind of weight...I don't think you'll have to worry about him being very active or able to jump. He'd look like a balloon with a head, tail and pegs at each corner for legs.

He gets along with Freak? If so, then I do not think he needs to be an only cat. The problem you are having is with the different types of pets you are keeping (predator/prey) and in how they are housed and/or kept seperated from each other.
Keep a closed door between the lizards and Scooter so there is no unsupervised access.
Buy or build a more secure and safer enclosure(s) for the lizards.

This means; no lights that can be pulled over and no lids that can come off.
I am very sorry for being so blunt, but I feel he doesn't need to be re-homed, you need to practice better animal husbandry. If you can keep the big/little pets away (or safe) from each other, your problem is solved. If you cannot do this, then it may be better to re-home him.
h

post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 12:52 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi n Q
I really don't think your Scooter could reach 35-40# unless he became an overfed blimp. 20 is certainly reasonable, even up to 24 can be a 'healthy' weight for a large housecat, but I feel 35/40 is just way too much to expect out of a housecat. However, IF he ever does reach that kind of weight...I don't think you'll have to worry about him being very active or able to jump. He'd look like a balloon with a head, tail and pegs at each corner for legs.
He is half African Serval cat and can get up to 35/40 pounds without being overweight. He is only 1 yr old and already weighs in at 19.8 pounds, and he is still growing.

Quote:
He gets along with Freak? If so, then I do not think he needs to be an only cat. The problem you are having is with the different types of pets you are keeping (predator/prey) and in how they are housed and/or kept seperated from each other.
Keep a closed door between the lizards and Scooter so there is no unsupervised access.
Buy or build a more secure and safer enclosure(s) for the lizards.

This means; no lights that can be pulled over and no lids that can come off.
I am very sorry for being so blunt, but I feel he doesn't need to be re-homed, you need to practice better animal husbandry. If you can keep the big/little pets away (or safe) from each other, your problem is solved. If you cannot do this, then it may be better to re-home him.
h
Yes, he and Freak are fine together, they fight now and then, but nothing like when he first came into the home. They tolerate each other and each has their own areasof the house they have claimed.

As for the Lizard enclosures, unfortunately, they are in the dining/living room and can't be moved due to the fact they need to be near the furnace to maintain the correct heat / temperatures.

The enclosures are SOLID OAK and very sturdy and heavy. The tank that had the light fixtures on top of the tank was our EMERGENCY tank in case any of the lizards got sick or injured or if they become agressive towards each other. This is the first time in nearly 4 months that we have even used the Emergency tank.

Here are the enclosures:

We've added J-Hook latches to each of the removeable windows and the Pet Screen windows have now been Nailed shut because Scooter figured out how to open them.

I've owned cats all my life (over 35 yrs), as well as other critters (hamsters, gerbils, birds, snakes) at the same time and this is the first time I've ever had a cat go after any of them. Yes, most have been curious, but none of them have ever literally opened an enclosure and attacked the smaller animal.

As stated before, I will try anything and do anything to ensure that Scooter remains in my home, re-homing him is a last resort. I'm going to talk to my Vet and see what he recommends and try some the sprays out on the market.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 01:28 AM

Here in Cali I dont think you're allowed to own a cat until its 4th generation. Guess this is why eh?
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 02:15 AM
Premier Cat

Your lizard enclosures are beautiful! And I did not know Scooter was a serval mix. That does change the situation slightly.

I had a wolf hybrid. She was a wonderful companion, but she had her quirks about pack heirarchy and I had to be careful and take steps to keep other people safe around her. I knew it was her nature and it was up to me to keep that in mind and be in control of all situations.

Still, with Scoot being a serval mix (larger size, stronger and with a higher prey-drive than the average housecat) I still think you can take more pro-active steps to keep your pets together and safe from each other without rehoming him. However, if you feel you cannot keep the pets safe, you may need to rehome him to a home that understands his nature and will make concessions.
Best of luck,
h

post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 02:52 AM
Cool Cat

there must be something you can do... like maybe mount something better/more securely or, maybe build like a cage around their enclosures (safely somehow) that you can access to feed & water them or... there must be some way!

I dont know the first thing about lizards... but im sure lizards and cats have lived in the same house before with no problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page