Could use some advice on finding GOOD homes for kittens... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 03:27 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Could use some advice on finding GOOD homes for kittens...

As some of you may know, I currently have a litter of kittens from a stray momma. I need to start looking for homes for them soon, but I could use some suggestions/advice on how I should go about that. GOOD homes seem to be in short supply. At least, that's the impression I get everytime I look on Craigslist.

I am thinking about asking potential adopters to fill out some sort of adoption application, along with providing references. I also want the adopters to stay in touch with me and provide occasional updates. AND to return them to me if the kitten/cat ever needs to be re-homed. But I wonder whether I can even find anyone willing to do those things, when there is a plethora of other kittens out there needing homes at any given time, no strings attached. Am I asking too much, being unrealistic? I can't let them go to "just anyone," though. Is there anything else or different that any of you would do?

I'm also not sure where the best places are to look for those good homes that I know must be out there somewhere. I will try Craigslist, but I don't have a very high opinion of it. Petfinder is another option, of course. What else? I could use some ideas. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 03:39 AM
Super Moderator

In defense of Craigslist, that's where I found Cinderella and Cleo (so there are good homes out there through that resource). But I understand your hesitation. There are members here who have application forms they've made or used, hopefully they'll see this post and help you out.

I don't think it's unreasonable to ask that they keep in touch for a certain amount of time or that you return the kitten if things don't work out. I just sent the twins' foster Mom their 1-year old pictures and an update.

Good luck!

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 04:02 AM
Banned

I don't think its unrealistic to want to check people out and to ask for updates in the first year. Anyone serious in wanting to give a kitten a good home shouldn't object to that and it says a lot about you as well - the fact that you are saying 'I'm only interested in giving these kittens to good homes' should frighten many irresponsible potential cat owners off. I hope. But, there is a danger of going OTT too - I steer clear of many rescue organisations because their adoption process is far too invasive. I got Toby from the UK version of Craigslist (in a free to a good home ad )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 08:04 AM
Premier Cat

In my searching for both Rookie and Murphy, I dealt with private rescue organizations (many of which wouldn't even return a call or e-mail), an SPCA, and an Animal Welfare League. I found myself HOPING their adoption process would be kind of hard, because it meant all the little kitties stood a better chance of going to a good home. I think if you really want a cat -- and especially if you've already fallen in love with one -- you're more than willing to jump through whatever hoops they have you do.

Holly and Murphy
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 09:59 AM
Cat Addict

I would think that anyone who is adopting would enjoy keeping in touch with the person/organization they adopted from. After we got Orlando this past weekend I e-mailed a "First Day" album of photos to Caroline's Kids. They e-mailed back that it made them cry. (Happy tears of coarse!) It has been such a pleasure keeping in touch with the wonderful people who cared for him for so long. I intend to keep sending updates every so often.
A good chat with the adopters might tell you more about the people then any amount of paperwork. When people truly care about their animals I think it would come through in their conversation.
Also a vet reference might be a good idea.

Sue

post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 12:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by October
I think if you really want a cat -- and especially if you've already fallen in love with one -- you're more than willing to jump through whatever hoops they have you do.
I disagree. A certain amount of checking is called for but I've come across some utterly over the top demands from some rescue organisations. You would think they dont want their kitties adopted! The one nearest to me has a contract that says the cat always belongs to them and that they can demand the kitty back at any time. There is no way in heck I'll ever adopt from them!!!

Things one should always check for is - if the potential owner is renting - if they are actually allowed pets. I'm not sure about the vet reference - what if they hadnt had a pet before? A face-to-face interview is a good idea - clever questions should be able to weed out bad owners. Anything else, in my view, other than regular updates for the first year or so, is completely unnecessary.

Also - never, ever offer kitties as 'free to a good home'. You should always charge a small adoption fee. Again, hopefully, that will deter crappy potential owners as they may not want to spend the 'initial outlay'. Toby was free to a good home - I suspect because his previous owners thought no-one would adopt him otherwise - but I would have been more than happy to pay a fee of £50 or so if they had asked.

As a side note - I keep in touch irregularly with Tobys previous owners. They didnt ask for updates but I like doing it anyway. After all, they were Tobys owners for 5 years. They have, by the way, eventually moved abroad - to South Africa apparently. They searched for my facebook account and added me as a friend just this week.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 07:15 PM
Super Moderator

The adoption agency I went through for the twins was unreasonable, in my view. The paperwork actually reads like they own the kittens. I can never give them to anyone else. Ever. And they have the right to surprise home inspections. Of course, this has never happened. I lied on the form and said I owned the house I live in. They never even checked on it, even though they told me over the phone that they definitely will check the records. Considering that the twins were listed with different birth dates and as being in different foster homes, how organized could they be? And they never even checked with my vet.

Now their foster mom, that's a different story. They were in a wonderful home and were very, very loved and well taken care of.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 07:26 PM
Premier Cat

I can vouch for Craigslist, too. That's how I found the light-of-my-life Arianwen. She was on Craigslist Huntsville, and at a very nice rescue in nearby Albertville. The lady who runs the rescue brought her here, provided a bunch of good quality food and some Advantage for her.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 09:45 PM
Jr. Cat

I think the OP means there are plenty of kittens on Craigslist already looking for new homes, not that there aren't any good homes on Craigslist. That's where I found Zander, mainly because I was intimidated by the adoption agencies' "rules" such as home visits (I rent and did not get permission to have animals), etc. I think it's perfectly fine to ask as much information as you feel needed, but don't go OTT. I emailed one lady with a foster kitten and she asked if I have children. When I said yes, she wouldn't let me have the kitten. I think that is OTT because, as you can hopefully tell by my posts, I am a great mom to Zander! I STILL see that lady posting for a good home for that kitten! Definitely charge an adoption fee (even if it's small) to avoid them becoming snake food, etc. They said there was a fee for Zander, but when they realized I was legit, they didn't charge me anything. GL!
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Thanks for your responses everyone! I appreciated reading your different opinions and experiences.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page