Cat Loneliness - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 04:47 AM Thread Starter

Cat Loneliness

I am going back to school in the fall and I am worried about my cat being lonely when I am at school and work full time.

I just adopted a kitten, to be a companion to my 4 year old, but the kitten passed away.

Do I try again? With a kitten? An adult cat? Or will she be fine if I am not home as much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 04:53 AM
Super Moderator

Cinderella loved being an only cat (she was 4 also when I added more) and I wish I would have left it that way. They sleep most of the day anyway.

I know you only had your kitten for a short time - how did you cat react to her?

I'm so sorry you lost your little kitten, by the way.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 10:26 AM
Banned

Why don't you try it alone for a while and see how it goes? If you think another cat is needed, then a young adult would be better than a kitten. If you won't have enough time for your current cat, you certainly won't for a kitten.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 12:12 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by coaster
If you won't have enough time for your current cat, you certainly won't for a kitten.
wow Tim that is a bit harsh! I think she is thinking of her other cat well being. Just because she has long hours doesnt mean they wont have her companionship. They will see her at night, when she is studying, when she has free time and Im sure they will have the attention of her friends who come over too.

I agree with Tim a teenage cat would be a good choice if you choose to get another.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 03:25 PM

Yeah, I work full time and I'm starting graduate school this fall and sometimes I worry about leaving Leroy alone but based on his weekend behavior he sleeps during my usual week hours. I did happen go home late this morning for a few minutes. He woke up, looked at me, then fell back asleep. He's obviously keeping himself occupied!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 05:28 PM
Super Moderator

Tim's not being a bit harsh and I don't think he meant it that way. Kittens are hard. They're worth every minute of work, but they need someone at home more than late evenings to help train them. Plus, they're so stinking cute, you'd feel bad leaving them every morning.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 05:59 PM
Premier Cat

I stand corrected!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 06:00 PM
Super Moderator

Sorry, now I feel harsh.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 06:54 PM
Premier Cat

LOL no way. I misunderstood. Im blond so those things happen!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-28-2008, 03:28 PM
Banned

I meant it Marie's way, but looking at my wording I can see how it could also be seen Merry's way.

It's always good to give the benefit of the doubt when it could go either way. Though in my case, I know I have a rep of being insensitive at times. Sometimes I just don't realize it -- diplomacy has never been my strong suite. Though sometimes I do it intentionally in order to get somebody's attention. I'm thinking of a time when someone came here looking for advice about a urination problem, and the message to take the cat to the vet ASAP (because it sounded like a blockage) wasn't getting through, and I ended up using both strong words and strong formatting to punch a pretty strong message to beat the guy over the head with, with pretty strong results, but the end result was the cat got taken to the vet. So it's that kind of an end result I'm looking for when I intentionally don't mince words.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page