Using Advantage for the 1st time - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-28-2008, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Using Advantage for the 1st time

I just ordered a 6 month supply of Advantage (I plan to use 2 for each cat). I am just curious if I should allow them onto our screened in porch immediately or if they should be restricted at any time. To me, it seemed counter-productive but my boyfriend said it's the best time for them to be allowed outside because if fleas jump on them they will die. I guess he is right but I want to check.

Also, Baby Kitty is the only one not spayed yet. I have had her for 6 months and she is still not fixed. I was not financially able to do it in the beginning and boy I wish I had been. For the past couple months every time I try to schedule her an appt she goes into heat a few days before so I cancel. I have realized I'm just going to have to take her regardless, heat or not, or she will never be spayed. Is it really more complicated? I dont want to hurt her.

Anyways, the reason I am asking is because I was trying to get her an appt within the week or next weekend. Is this Advantage going to be a problem if I take her to be fixed? I am just thinking maybe it should not be on her skin while she has surgery. Anybody have a thought? Should i do the Advantage first and wait a little bit for the spay? Or spay and wait for the advantage? She REALLY needs the advantage and not because we have a huge flea problem but because she scratches herself scabs. The other two are fine.

Let me know if you have any suggestions before I use the Advantage this weekend.

Thank you

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Save a Life, Adopt a Pet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-28-2008, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Okay, well one problem is solved because I just made her appt and it's not til the 19th of July so I am going ahead with the Advantage today. But please still read this about the 1st thing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-28-2008, 12:20 PM

I don't think that her being in heat has anything to do with timing on the surgery - correct me if I'm wrong someone. Also, go ahead with the Advantage. Screened in porch is fine - when you think of it - outside cats and dogs are out and they are treated too.

Our old cat used to have seasonal allergies - believe it or not - and he scratched a LOT. It might not be fleas, so ask your vet about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-28-2008, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Well, someone probably exaggerated something to me by telling me the surgery was "much more risky" while they are in heat. And they will "lose alot of blood." But I asked the vet and she said yes they lose more blood and so it takes longer but it's not that big a deal.

Thanks!

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-28-2008, 12:29 PM
Premier Cat

Well, in the grand scheme of things, performing surgery on an in-season cat IS technically more risky than one who is not in season. However, if you have a competent vet who is expecting to encounter such a scenario, I don't see much of a problem arrising. It is just the risk (the chance of) things going wrong or bad is higher. Doesn't mean it actually does happen all that often.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-28-2008, 12:48 PM

Thank you for the correction. I didn't know this.

When Fin was in heat, we went that same week to get her spayed because we had 2 males in the house and they weren't neutered yet. I assumed it was OK to do it because we DID.

But I didn't know about the possible complications.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-28-2008, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by talullah
Our old cat used to have seasonal allergies - believe it or not - and he scratched a LOT. It might not be fleas, so ask your vet about it.
Thats true I did not think about that... I will have to see if the Advantage helps. If not, I guess I know.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page