Catnip ideas needed. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-28-2008, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Catnip ideas needed.

I try to help my local "no kill" humane society as much as I can.

At the moment I collect cans from work and home and take them there.

I grow a few veggies, take some into work, sell them and donate the proceeds.

I visit the cats there, go round the cages, talk to and fuss all the pusses and charge myself a $20 donation for the pleasure. (a bargain)

Now a potentially new idea to help has surfaced on a gardening forum which I frequent.
Someone on there suggested growing catnip and giving it to a local humane society to sell.
Great idea!! Mine has a little thrift shop attached.
So, next year I'm going to grow lots of it.

I was wondering if anyone here had come across anything similar to this in their area and had suggestions on how it was offered
ie fresh, dried, leaf, bud. All ideas you have would be welcome. I just want to grow it and give it to them in a way they may be able to raise money.

By the way, I was in my local branch on Friday and they'd had 2 batches of kittens dumped there in 2 days, 12 "kitlets" in all
They were all beautiful, healthy looking, mewing darlings and I could have scooped the whole bloody batch up and taken them home. <sniff>

The branch has a capacity for 105 and they now have almost 150 unwanted pets there.

Thankfully they don't have much trouble finding homes for the wee "mewlets" as I call them but it still angers me how some people could do such a thing.

Anyway, I look forward to suggestions.

Mick.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-28-2008, 09:54 PM
Cool Cat

http://www.wikihow.com/Dry-Fresh-Grown-Catnip

Catnip drying tips!

Since your local shelter has a thrift shop, you could also make some homemade catnip toys for them to sell, or even catnip treats, I saw some recipes on teh interwebs!

Edit for typo
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-28-2008, 10:09 PM
Premier Cat

Catnip treats are a great idea!! If you have a local farmer's market you could also sell them there.

I have 2 catnip plant in my garden and they are very easy to grow. I do have to be careful because Taz and Gracie will come out while I am in the garden and roll around on the plants .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-28-2008, 10:54 PM
Cool Cat

Catnip's wonderful to grow, it grows easily and grows anywhere mint does. It's beautiful as it grows, and it's pleasing to the touch (very soft little mint cousin). My cats were always just as pleased to walk up to it and nibble, or they really went crazy if I crushed it up and released the juices on a leaf for them. Chasing wands of it around is a blast for them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-28-2008, 11:04 PM
Cool Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to mstx
People sell it dried here. I had one plant and its really easy to grow but my cats didnt like it so I let it die
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 12:37 AM
Premier Cat

You could set up some catnip seedlings in small pressed-peat pots for them to sell, too.
But the dried 'nip might be more practical.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 09:42 PM
Cool Cat

I used to "sell" nip to my vet office. They took a "wholesale" price and put it against my account, then sold it for twice that amount. It just takes SO long to get the leaves and blossoms, leaving any stems out, packaging it, etc.. I figure I made aboud twelve cents and hour.

Now, after what we need for "home consumption", I dry the rest of the plants whole, put them in garbage bags, and donate them to the shelter for their resident kitties.

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you criticize him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

=(^.^)= Elsie
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 11:58 AM

Re: Catnip ideas needed.

NEW QUESTION:

I'm in the NorthEast - do you think I can grow catnip (from seed)
or lemon catnip - indoors on a sunny southern window sill?
or should I wait till Spring for longer sunnier days...
any advice on how to maximize my success is appreciated.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 02:12 PM
Premier Cat

Re: Catnip ideas needed.

Ive seen them sell catnip on Etsy. do a search for catnip seeds or thru the catnip toys where they have loose catnip. What a great idea to help your shelter. Kudo for you for willingness to do this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page