I know valium can make a cat loopy - can Baytril as well? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 01:26 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

I know valium can make a cat loopy - can Baytril as well?

Subject says it all. Simba is being very vocal and much more awake than usual, but not showing any signs of pain.

searching for side effects on the net didnt realy help, so im hoping someone knows.

he seems normal besides alot of meowing mostly. He squirms wehn picked up (which he didnt with the valium).

can anyone offer any help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 01:37 AM
Premier Cat

Baytril is an antibiotic, and shouldn't make Simba loopy. He might be meowing because he feels different, maybe a little stomach upset, and doesn't know why.

Here is a Wikipedia article about Baytril - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baytril
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 02:24 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Well, he is eating... so im not sure if its stomach related.

What does scare me is the seizures part though. im hoping thats one of those 1 in every million things that they are obligated to mention to cover their own butts.

The orbax from the emerg vets he was on didnt seem to have any side effects at all, and our regular vet said that this is the equivalent (that some vets carry orbax, and some carry baytril). so im wondering why one is having side effects and one isnt. he seems to be getting sleepy now though, so im hoping its just for an hour or so kinda thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 10:05 AM
Cool Cat

When Randy was on Baytril, the vet said to watch for signs of neurological impact, such as head turning side ways, balance issues, or any hearing problems. She never mentioned loopiness, and Randy didn't show any signs of any side effect other than typical antibiotic stuff like loose stool.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 09:35 PM
Cool Cat

At the University vet hospital, they told me that they don't presribe Baytril for cats anymore, unless as a last resort and the benefits greatly outweighed the possible bad side effects. They mainly mentioned the real possibility of it causing sudden and irreversible blindness in cats.

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you criticize him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

=(^.^)= Elsie
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CataholicsAnonymous
At the University vet hospital, they told me that they don't presribe Baytril for cats anymore, unless as a last resort and the benefits greatly outweighed the possible bad side effects. They mainly mentioned the real possibility of it causing sudden and irreversible blindness in cats.
ive read about that too... but i have no way of telling how likely that is. hes ok so far and its been 23 hours, so im HOPING im in the clear. is there any way to tell for sure?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page