Should I get new kittens in my house when I have an old cat? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 04:42 AM Thread Starter

Should I get new kittens in my house when I have an old cat?

I have been thinking for some time that I would like a little kitten of my own. My younger sister agrees with this, but we're worried that our prized but elderly short coated tortishell kitty, Cinnamon, the only cat in the house right now won't have such a peaceful end of her lifetime. BUT, we reckon she could be around for some time, for she is in a very good condition for such an old timer. She has quite a delicate stomach and only four teeth of her original set (You can't get cat dentures, can you?) so needs to eat a special cat food mashed up for her. She also sleeps a load and I almost never get to play with her unless she has consumed catnip, which whisks her up like a mango in a blender, but kittens are like this without eating catnip! Do any of you more advanced cat owners think I should buy some new kits, and if so, what breed? I was thinking of two Turkish Van kittens.

Pictures of my little Kitty (click to zoom in):

Moochin' down Litter Alley. (Sorry for the dirty litter in background)

Whos the guy with the camera?

No one can see me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 04:26 PM Thread Starter

Please answer this thread! I need help.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 05:19 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
Kittens vary in behavior, as do adult cats. Nothing is certain. However a kitten, although active, is usually accepted better than a cat, because your cat will know it is still the Alpha Cat. The thread "New Kitten?" might be helpful to you.

I have found my Balinese cat to be one of the sweetest natured cats I have ever had. I got her the the Siamese Rescue org. Good luck!

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 08:45 PM
Premier Cat

I have never had a single, older cat so I really can't give you much information. I have heard stories about adding new siblings to an older cat and it goes really well, others where the new kitty just harasses the established kitty.

Do you have an area where you would be able to keep the new kitty away from Cinnamon and allow you to introduce them slowly?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 08:55 PM
Super Moderator

I would keep things as they are and let your prized older kitty enjoy her later years in life.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-30-2008, 04:02 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the answers!

@Jeanie Thanks for the infomation! That might be a real help when we make a decision.

@Leazie I do have a place where the kitten could slowly be introduced to Cinnamon, but she is usually quite angry if she finds other cats on her 'property'. It would be an idea, know, because Cinnamon can barely hear and her sense of smell seems to be fading. She wouldn't be able to detect the kitten/kittens.

@marie73 We thought that, too, but she isn't exactly the marathon runner of the house. She spends nearly all of her time sleeping.

Those answers really helped me. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page