Help! New Daughter-in-Law Allergic to Cats - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 01:19 PM Thread Starter

Help! New Daughter-in-Law Allergic to Cats

My new daughter-in law is coming to town with my son in a couple weeks and they are (hopefully) planning on staying at my house. Besides the obvious, thorough vacuuming of everything including furniture, throw pillows & curtains, & keeping my 2 cats in the basement for 3 days (I'm dreading this), is there anything else I do or can use to help her? She is planning on taking Benadryl and whatever else may help. But I'd like to do everything I can to ease her allergies so, hopefully they won't have to go to a hotel. Thanks for any advise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 02:24 PM
Cat Addict

My sister in law came for a week and was highly allergic to our cat. She took benadryl and singular and she was okay with it.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 02:32 PM
Tom Cat

There are allergen sprays that neutralize animal dander. Because I have an allergy to cats, and well before I started getting allergy shots, I was wiping them down with a cloth sprayed down with an anti-allergy spray (if I recall, it was called Allerpet). It didn't solve my allergy issue 100%, but it definitely helped. I'm sure you can find it at a large pet supply store.

Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 03:28 PM

"Better living through chemistry". Zyrtec & Singulair.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 05:58 PM
Cat

I used to be horribly allergic to cats as a child, my eyes would literally swell shut and I had a hard time breathing. I could never go to a friend's house if they had a cat. I was raised with dogs and horses. Now... Dogs and horses set off my asthma, and I have three indoor cats with no allergy problems. Go figure!

Anyway, vacuum, vacuum, vacuum, and use a HEPA filter in your vacuum cleaner. Change all bedding where she will be sleeping, dust like it's going out of style, and wipe your cats down with a damp cloth or one of the allergy sprays mentioned above (never heard of those, but definitely worth a try!). If your cats will tolerate a bath, go for it. I'd try to keep your cats wiped off as much as possible for a week or two before she comes to visit.

As someone who has suffered severe cat allergies in the past, I know what it feels like, but as the current owner of the three most spoiled kitties in the world I also know what it means to not want to stress out your pets either.

Good luck!!!

Andi
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 06:56 PM
Cat Addict

When my allergic sister-in-law visited a few years ago we had the carpets professionally cleaned before they arrived. We also kept the cats out of the room where they would be staying for a few weeks before they got there.

Sue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 10:30 PM
Cool Cat

All of those are great tips. Just don't feel bad if she ends up needing to sleep at a hotel, as that will only make her feel bad, too.
Perhaps setting up a nice area outside where you can all get away if she needs a little break? Perhaps invest in one of those ionic-breeze thingies?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 12:42 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the great advise. Luckily the bedroom they will be staying in has been closed off ffrom the cats for a couple years. I keep the vents closed in there to save on utilities, so, the door is always shut. I bought new pillows for the bed & will wash towels & linens & keep them in their room before they come. I am also planning on getting some of the allergy spray that a couple of you mentioned. I have also heard Febreeze makes a spray for allergies. Hopefully after vacuuming, if I spray that it will help. I'm also thinking about putting a clean sheet on the sofa where she will be sitting. Do you think that will make a difference?

The medications that a couple of you have mentioned Singular & another one (can't remember without looking at post again) are they prescription or over-the-counter?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 08:15 AM
Cool Cat

Benadryl is over-the-counter and Sigular is by prescription. She would need to be on it before she arrives - days to weeks - for it to work.

Mom of
Skin kids - Jason, Kevin, Allison
Canine kids - Bennett & Bailey (always in our hearts), Riley, Banker, Rogue and Boz
Feline kids - Zoey, Talley and Abra
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 01:23 PM
Cool Cat

Nasacort AQ is a very effective nasal spray, which is a prescription drug in the U.S., but in Canada is sold over-the-counter under the name Telnase. You can get it online from Canadian pharmacy sites, although I don't know how fast you can get it. It probably also works best if you take it for a couple of weeks.

When I say very effective, I really mean it. Before my husband started taking it, he couldn't spend one evening in a house with cats, but now he lives with four.

Good luck, and I hope the visit goes well!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page