A.C. is down a cat - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Send a message via AIM to AmberD
A.C. is down a cat

Animal Control here is miserable, 90%+ kill rate for cats and kittens. Even the kittens, yes, because they're full of them, and no one goes there to get animals because it's too epressing and too many people don't know it exists. Talking to an officer, I found that people either come in wanting baby kittens, 6-10 weeks old, or adults that are already s/n and declawed, and even the ones in those categories have high kill rates. But once a kitten gets past 12 weeks, it's pretty much hopeless because no one wants it. I was on a mission the other day for a friend of mine and was assaulted by demanding cries from the end. A single kitten, 3-4 months old was insisting that I break the rules, open the door, and hold him. And who's to deny a solitary, lonely kitten in a cage in one of the most miserable animal control facilities in the state? I did it. And heh purred, leaned into me, and looked sweetly into my eyes.

So I nicely but firmly put him back. I closed the door in his startled little face and left. I waited at the reception desk to see when he was available for adoption, but he wasn't yet. Tuesday, he was going up they said (he was dumped in the drop box overnight and therefore had a 4-day stray hold). I insisted 3 times before we left that he be put on the list to get his vaccinations and put up for adoption. They'll only bother putting an animal up if someone has expressed serious interest. I went back and told him I'd come get him Wednesday am, since I worked Tuesday.

Had to go back Monday (yesterday) to sneak some more pictures of the Exotic Shorthair, Snowshoe, and Siamese cats who were all just sitting there, unknown and unnoticed, not getting adopted. Little kitten still there (like stomeone was seriosuly going to come claim him?) but this time had a cage card. I ran. Turned tail and ran. I told the officer that I was told this cat was not supposed to be availbale yet, but is he? The answer...

"Yeah, he's for sale now."

oh. Umm, really? Me...

"Then... I am going to buy him."

So I did. Took him right to the vet for a Leukemia/FIV test, and then home. So this is Tanner...

He's about 16 weeks upon further observation. My heart broke for alrl those I left behind. Part of me would love to get adult cats instead of kittens, but introducing adults in my household rarely seems to go well. Plus, in that misrable place, all animals are equal, and my kitten was not more likely to get adopted than another cat (except by someone like me adopting him in the inbetween stage). Two purebred, 6 month old Siamese sisters sat there for two weeks because they weren't babies any more. My friend pulled them Monday a couple hours before I "bought" my kid. The Snowshoe was claimed or adopted, and we managed to pull in a few favors to finally get the Exotic shorthair out today. None of those any more deserving than theothers of course, but easier to draw interest because they are purebreds. I like my little mutt kitty.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 11:55 PM

Bless your heart. It's just pitiful. I hurt for those sweet pets. I know you're just sick that you couldn't find homes for every last one. It's so painful when there's so much to do and no help to get it all done.

I'm so thankful for YOU - people like you.

((hug))
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 11:56 PM

He is beautiful! ...and your story has brought tears to my eyes.People like you give hope that kindness and compassion still exist in this world.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 12:02 AM

He's so cute. I'm glad you saved him. I'm sure there's more kind hearted people out there who will save some of the other cats. It really is too bad we all can't just take them all home with us.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 02:37 AM
Premier Cat

He is so adorable! Thank you for saving this little one.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 02:52 AM
Super Moderator

He looks like the softest, fluffiest kitty I've ever seen!

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 04:06 AM
Jr. Cat

Tanner is adorable! Kudos for rescuing him.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 07:02 AM
Premier Cat

He has the sweetest little face. I love his markings.

It's heartbreaking that the shelter's kill rate is that high. Thank goodness that you and your friend were able to pull some of those babies to give them a chance at life.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 07:56 AM
Premier Cat

I'm so glad you got Tanner out of there! He's just an adorable cutie. What a sweet little face. What is he like so far?

Holly and Murphy
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 09:41 AM
Super Moderator

What a major cutie! How could I not say that since he bears quite a resemblance to Holly! Love his big feet!

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page