Male Vs Female cats - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-03-2008, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Male Vs Female cats

Is it just my cats or are females more active, more affectionate lap cats than males?

Ollie is a lazy cat by nature, I know this. But he also does NOT like to be held. ONLY wants love when he wants it and for as long as he wants it. Most of the time I don't even know where Ollie is (asleep somewhere). Baby Kitty and Sophie are huge lovers. They are both lap cats and love to be loved. I cant go into a room alone.

It's prob just each individual cat but I started thinking about it after I realized I have really only ever had female cats until Ollie.

How about yours?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Save a Life, Adopt a Pet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-03-2008, 10:22 PM
Premier Cat

It's very individual here. Simba, who is a male, couldn't be more cuddly if he had to be. Missy cries if I don't hold her enough.

Then there are Molly Brown and Bob who each don't like to be held.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-03-2008, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Hmm, well there goes my theory (just like I figured).

Male and female humans have stereotypical qualities that for the most part are true. But there are always some who break the mold.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-04-2008, 12:08 AM
Cool Cat

I've always heard the opposite: males are more affectionate, females more independent and moody. BUT seeing as I only own males i can't really compare. Willie is the most affectionate cat I've ever met, both he and Neko follow me around from room to room and Willie needs constant attention, always meowing and causing trouble to make people look at him. He loves to cuddle and will actually jump from the ground into your arms so you have to hold him.
Neko has his times when he wants attention and times when he does not. Before we got Willie Neko was VERY affectionate but after Willie came neko stopped seeking. Now, nearly two years later, Neko is just starting to become affectionate again and boy did I miss him! He has begun to seek belly rubs and initiate games of tag with me almost every day.

So I don't really think it's a gender thing, just an individual thing.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-04-2008, 12:09 AM
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuteNCraze86
Hmm, well there goes my theory (just like I figured).

Male and female humans have stereotypical qualities that for the most part are true. But there are always some who break the mold.
i most definately break the human female mold. lol.

as far as my cats, Simba only wants love when he wants it, when its his idea. (which is normally either at 5am with my mom, or when i come out of the shower, lol). Boo, she seeks head scratches and things quite often, but dont pick her up. sometimes she will tolerate it, but other times not. every so often she does like the idea. depends on her mood i guess.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-04-2008, 12:41 AM
Cat

We have a female and two males currently, and we had a single female cat before these three also. By far, our females have been much more independent, feisty, and "I'm the primadonna, who are you?" in their attitudes. Our two males are EXTREMELY cuddly, lovable, hugable, holdable, and very very interactive as far as cats go. They are both just piles of furry mush if you pick them up or lay down next to them on the couch. They are both suckers for ear rubs or chin rubs and love nothing more than to be held and cuddled.

Andi
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-04-2008, 03:34 AM
Premier Cat

Sam (R.B. kitty) was definitely not a stereotype male kitty. He was a genius kitty, super-intelligent, and very affectionate, too.
He is a kitty angel now, and still visits sometimes.

Arianwen is affectionate in her own way. She had a hard life before coming into my home, and is only really coming out of her "shell" in the last few weeks. She has always wanted to be in the same room as me, but has recently realized she is in her loving forever home. She has always trusted me, but only recently has she become really relaxed and open with me. It was like she was a little afraid that I might want to re-home her, but feels secure now.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-04-2008, 10:17 AM
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuteNCraze86

Personally, I think that is a societal construct. I think some people live up to expectations put upon them by society which perhaps at one point served a purpose, but no longer do (those would be the stereo types). Others make different choices and appear to be "mold breakers".

As for kittehs, one of my current boys is a snuggle-bunneh, the other wants to be near you, but not on you (unless you're sleeping in bed, then he will lean against you).

Of my RB kittehs, it was half-and-half, but definitely not split along gender lines.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-04-2008, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Siameseifuplz~
He loves to cuddle and will actually jump from the ground into your arms so you have to hold him.
So I don't really think it's a gender thing, just an individual thing.
THAT IS TOO CUTE! I have never seen or heard of any cat doing this. I've had kittens climb my leg before, but that was not a pleasant experience. This sounds cute (if they aim right, and make it )

Eventually (way down the road after I am no longer renting) I want to add more kittehs to the family. I started thinking about it and wondered more females? more males? It's so far in the future but I just wanted to see what you guys had to say. I hope to just go to the shelter and fall in love with some kitties - regardless of gender.

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-04-2008, 04:22 PM
Cat Addict

I have found the opposite to be true. My females are aloof and lazy, my boys are all love bugs and CRAZY! Enough that I will probably not adopt another female cat. (though if the right ones comes along, I'll melt. I always do!)

Rachael with Thurston, Sully and Ninja.

Puzzles and Tyler, Gone but never forgotten
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page