A rant about a friend shooting cats. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

A rant about a friend shooting cats.

Ugh. I'm just really disgusted right now, I needed somewhere to go to rant. This forum seemed like it would have the sort of people who would understand - people who love cats as much as I do. D:

Alright, so about two months ago, my indoor-outdoor cat Roo went missing for a week. I was an absolute basket case (not helped along by major anxiety issues I have), because I'd had him for ten long years and he'd always come home before. We put up missing posters, went to the pound, checked everywhere around the neighborhood, everything we could...and for that entire week, I couldn't stop crying. I'd start crying on the bus even after the sixth day, when it seemed like hope was slim.

My wonderful mom said she's stay home and wait for Roo instead of going with us to Virginia (we live in PA) for Easter vacation...just in case he came home.

Miraculously, he did. He was limping and bleeding, but alive, and still is today. :3 But thing is? Someone SHOT him, from behind, with a shotgun. In the head.

Takes a really sick person to do that, right?

So anyways, I was really paranoid about Roo for months, I still have issues about letting him outside. Here's the real rant: I have a close online friend who lives in Britain who really isn't fond of cats; she chases and hisses at them to get them out of her yard, etc. The other day, apparently a neighbor cat killed one of her bird-regulars, and now she's decided she's going to kill it.

She's going to get her dad to SHOOT any cats that come into her yard.

I'm begging her to at LEAST just shoot to scare it (most cats would be smart enough not to come back, I hope), but what can I do? She's an ocean away, and doesn't understand about cat's instincts, and thinks they're cruel to torture little animals. She doesn't understand that she might be utterly ruining someone's life by killing that cat, like some horrible hick did to me about Roo (who is thankfully alive and well now).

What can I do to make her understand? Has anyone else had to deal with something like this? I feel like I should just let it drop, she lives across the ocean, but what she's doing is so disgustingly unfair to those poor cats.

Sorry for the long post, I just had to tell the whole story. D:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 09:45 AM
Banned

Where in the UK does she live? I know someone who'd show her what it's like to be shot at first.

It's the least she deserves. As for practical advice, there's not a whole lot you CAN do, unless you have some personal details (if you have those, then someone here can report her to the RSPCA).
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 11:43 AM
Premier Cat

Tell her if she loves 'her birds' she will find ways to feed and enjoy them that won't put them in danger (like taller/higher feeders that don't spill to the ground) of neighborhood animals.

You can also stop being friends with her if she pursues this line of revenge towards the cat.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, the thing is, she's a really good friend...we've just always disagreed on the subject of cats, so I usually don't bring it up. This is the first time she's actually seemed like she's out to hurt one. :\

She's told me she'll do a trade - she'll ask her dad not to hurt the cat if I put a bunch of bells on MY outdoor-indoor cats, so they don't hurt animals. Sad thing is, I'm not sure if she's just saying that.... And my cats already have bells and have figured them out. Bleh.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 11:59 AM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyPandaa
This is the first time she's actually seemed like she's out to hurt one [cat]. :\
...then I'd have to say this is the calculated risk every cat owner takes by letting their cat outside unsupervised?

post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 12:04 PM Thread Starter

...I hope I'm reading it wrong, and that you're not one of those people who think that letting cats outside are horrible and wrong. -.- My cat was adopted off the streets; we've tried to make him an indoor cat before, and he's miserable. He greatly enjoys basking in the sun and killing things. xD
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 12:06 PM
Banned

Of course she's not, she's saying it's a risk. Which it is.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 12:13 PM
Tom Cat

Mandy, I don't think anyone on this forum would fault you for letting your cat outside but your have to admit there are dangers to letting your baby outside unsupervised. There are cars, dogs, mean kids and arshats who will shoot cats.
One of my last rants was about my grandpa killing a kitten. Some people just don't have the sence to be kind to animals.

The more people I meet the more I love my cat!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 12:59 PM
Cool Cat

Yeah, I've heard to deal with that. Knew a woman once who bragged about how she'd managed to hit 27 cats with her car--my mother actually let that @#[email protected]#$!!! in our HOUSE!!!!
Another time, yes, my Jig came home with a beebee buried in her nose. The vet said it was a miracle it was in the tip & hard cartilege, not up higher. Of course, the person we thought was playing target with the local cats...he was murdered last month....

I wish I knew a way to deal with it besides letting karma take its toll. I've never come up with a good argument against people who shoot them for being on their land--it IS the risk we take in letting our dear ones lead their own lives. They DO tamper in others' lives. If a friend doesn't care how much pain and sorrow it causes others to shoot them, I don't think there's any teaching that empathy. Can you offer to buy them repellents? Find them solutions maybe...like the feeders mentioned above, and repellents, percussion noise makers...

I'm sorry for the pain you are going through

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 02:12 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyPandaa
...I hope I'm reading it wrong...
You are.

I have three indoor/outdoor cats. All former ferals I've trapped; two spayed and one neutered.
I don't worry about Pretty and Dusty much, they usually hang out at the back of the house or the barn when they are outside. The one I worry about is Malibu because I know if she is outside too long, she will get bored or too hot and want to cross the (55mph) road and go into the woods. I know it is a risk, so I take pains to be here to let her in/out before the sun gets too hot and when I know traffic (AM/PM) will be higher.

My outside cats have more risks than my strictly indoor cats. It is a known fact.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page