Do all your cats wear collars? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Do all your cats wear collars?

I haven't gotten a collar for Zander yet because he is 100% indoor (I know I cannot guarantee he won't ever escape) and I'm sort of afraid it'll get caught on something. Is this a rational thought, or do they usually break free easily (the collar latch or the cat?!)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 09:41 PM
Senior Cat

Bosco doesn't wear one as he is the OH's cat and therefore he makes the decisions for him. That nad Bosco has no want for the outside world, even if the door is left open he wants nothing to do with it.

Reyna on the other hand loves to try and squeeze past the door any chance she gets. She is microchiped as well as wears a breakaway collar (will break open if she gets caught on something) with a tag just incase she does get out one of these days. We tested the collar out one night by accident. she fell of the back of the couch and I went to catch her but instead grabbed her collar and it unsnapped before she hit the ground.

Both are indoor with rare trips into the backyard on a leash and harness.
post #3 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 09:45 PM
Cat Addict

All my cats wear ID, they all have break away collars and I know they work because they get out of them sometimes. My cats are all indoor but I have one that tries to escape all the time and weird things happen and cats get lost, I just want them to make it home if they do. They are all microchipped too, but I'm not going to rely on that alone because I'm not convinced that the incompetent boobs at Animal Control actually scan the animals that come in. Most vets aren't routinely scanning strays either. I hear so many horror stories of families that adopt cats and find out years later that they were microchipped and there was a family missing the cat the whole time.

Sorry, that was a bit of a rant.

But yes, collars a must for me.

Rachael with Thurston, Sully and Ninja.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Puzzles and Tyler, Gone but never forgotten
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 09:51 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
I have safety collars and name tags on both of my cats.... just in case.

Jeanie

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #5 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 09:57 PM
Cat Addict

None of mine have collars, I just don't feel comfortable with them. I once had a cat that managed to get a collar in his mouth at the same time it was around the back of his neck. He did it some time during the night and was stuck with his lower jaw pried open and unable to free himself or make a sound. I know the fit was probably not correct but I have never wanted to take a chance on it again.
Isn't the rule two fingers of extra room under the collar?

Sue

post #6 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 10:41 PM

Well I know I'm an unfit parent, but NONE of our cats would keep one on. We tried since they were kittens.
post #7 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 11:31 PM
Senior Cat

All three of mine have safety collars with ID tags. They do not go outside but I feel better about it with them. I also know they break-away like designed because Ollie is a master of getting his off. Which makes me wonder what good it would really do him. But I still feel better about it. Plus I think it's cute

Save a Life, Adopt a Pet.
post #8 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-09-2008, 12:14 AM
Cat

None of my three cats wear collars. They are all three indoors, but have a completely enclosed outdoor area to play in. One also walks on a harness and leash and we take him out once or twice a day for a walk. They're all microchipped. I've tried collars on them, and no matter how I tried to adjust the fit, they either all got them off, or got them stuck in their mouths with their lower jaws hanging open, which just freaked them out.

Andi
post #9 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-09-2008, 02:57 AM
Cool Cat

both of mine do. and actually, im anal enough to require certain brands for my cats. why? the size of the bell, creates the pitch level! lol. Simba gets "Safe Cat", which has a slightly deeper jingle than Boo's "the safety collar". I can tell from the pitch who is coming!

(music major here, LOL).

I mainly have them wear a collar so that way, if they do sneak out (god forbid!) people will know they have a home. They dont have tags though. I wonder if that would be a good idea... an "if lost return me to" type thing. Heres to hoping that NEVER happens! *touch wood*

ETA: I thought Boo was the only case of a collar getting stuck with the jaw open & on the back of her neck. it was when she was SO skinny and malnourished, that even the tightest setting, we could fit 4 fingers in there easily. i am SO thankful that i woke up to pee and heard the excessive jingling and went to investigate. It freaked me right out. You should have seen her licking once i freed her, as if to say "thank you mama". I didnt put one back on until a bit later, once she gained more. I wanted to be sure that couldnt happen again. (once in 3 years though, i think im in the clear.) What does scare me though is that it didnt break away. It must have been just that snug but not enough tension to pull apart. heres hoping that never happens again, too.

id like to know how the heck she manouvered it into that position though... it was quite hard to reach in there and break it away for her, not much room at all. it was a loose fit at the time, but i didnt think quite that lose.
post #10 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-09-2008, 03:01 AM
Banned

Toby wears a collar and (huge) ID tag but I'm getting nervous about how safe it is. When he was in the garden at the weekend it got hooked up on a branch. Thankfully I was there to unhook it immediately.

Perhaps its time for a microchip instead.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page