Volunteering at a Rescue - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 09:36 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Volunteering at a Rescue

Tomorrow will be my first day volunteering for Carolines Kids Cat Rescue. That is the place where I adopted Orlando three weeks ago. While corresponding with the director about how well Orlando is doing I mentioned that I do Reiki. She strongly hinted that she would love for someone to volunteer to do Reiki on some of their cats and I agreed. I also mentioned that I wouldn't mind scooping, feeding or cleaning also.
I can't wait to help out but I am also scared to death. I have a strick limit of 6 cats in my home. That is the number that keeps the peace with my husband and I also believe it is the number of cats I can responsibly own and still give them the level of vet care and quality of food and attention they deserve.
The part that scares me is that I tend to fall in love with most of the cats I see. This volunteering thing might be the start of an ache that could end up being very depressing. On the other hand it is something I have very much wanted to do for a long time.
Is there anyone here who works closely with these types of organizations, and how do keep your heart from breaking for all the cats you can't bring home? Advise would definately be appreciated.

Sue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 11:12 AM
Senior Cat

I just started volunteering at a rescue (just cleaning out cages, scooping, feeding etc) and I actually think it is a good thing for someone like you (and me). I worried the same thing. But this way you get to play with kitties and take care of them but the extra financial burden is not all on you and at your home with your hubby. Volunteering at a shelter would not be good for you and I because there you WOULD end up taking them home as there time comes to be PTS. At a rescue you know they have a place to stay and don't have a clock ticking. You will be happy for them when they are adopted. It will be tempting at times, but if you feel you have your max limit now just remind yourself whats better for the cat.

Save a Life, Adopt a Pet.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 11:49 AM
Banned

I have considered working for a animal shelter or rescue but I would get so attached to each and every one of the little furries that are in there and I really hate to see animals in pain (as I beleive a lot of animals that end up in these places have probably been neglected) so have decided against the real 'hands on' stuff. My mother used to foster for a cat charity but as I am at work all day I dont think thats very practical for me. Plus I have a FIV cat.

I decided to work for a rehoming website instead. I'm given two or three cat descriptions and their pics per week from from the charity I volunteer for - they get lots of requests from different animal rescue places all over the country (UK). I then do a write up for each cat.

For example - scroll down to the advert for Oliver and Bart. I did that one last night. (the others on this page arent mine - theres obviously more than one person updating the site).

edit/Jeanie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 01:30 PM
Premier Cat

Nice write ups Melysion! Its hard to make them fun to read. You did a good job.

I foster in my home. And have volunteered at the no kill shelter here also. Scooping, washing floors, vacuming cat beds and cat trees. You do get really attached to the hard luck case esp.

But I settled in my mind I can only have two cats of my own. Reminding myself that frees me up to help other cats along the way. Remember you are being a part of the solution and are making their lives so much better while they are waiting for their forever home. Carolines Kids Cat Rescue sounds like a very good rescue. I bet youll have a great experience working with them.

Keep us updated on your experiences there. We love hearing about it.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Allie, that is so funny! The part about Oliver being cheeky. I sure hope they find homes. Do you find out what happens to the cats you write about? Also, what a great way to help out. It takes time to write an interesting bit like that.

Sue

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 03:35 PM
Cool Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to mstx
I use to go and play with the cats at our shelter where I found Munchkin. Its hard not to get attached to them And you just have to remeber that when they get adopted that they are going to a loving home. I stopped going because I dont work near it now. The worst time I almost brought home tons of kittens was when I got Izzy, they had about 10 cats in a cage it was sooooo sad I wanted to take all of them home
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 05:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlover13
Allie, that is so funny! The part about Oliver being cheeky. I sure hope they find homes. Do you find out what happens to the cats you write about? Also, what a great way to help out. It takes time to write an interesting bit like that.
Thanks for the compliments katlover13 and Merry.

If any of the cats are rehomed after someone has applied to one of my postings I do get to hear about it, which is nice. Only two so far, but I've only been doing it a month or so.

Its fun to try and create a interesting write up. Here are the original adverts from the rescue place they are in that I had to work from

http://www.catchat.org/scruk/cgibin/prv ... 2008060702
http://www.catchat.org/scruk/cgibin/prv ... 2008060701

I hope it all goes well katlover13. Keep us posted and good luck!
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 09:47 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuteNCraze86
Volunteering at a shelter would not be good for you and I because there you WOULD end up taking them home as there time comes to be PTS. At a rescue you know they have a place to stay and don't have a clock ticking.
So true! If this were not a no-kill place there is no way I could go there. It breaks my heart to just think how many loving healthy cats are PTS for no good reason.
Carolines Kids even has a feline leukemia room. Those kitties are always very special to me.

Sue

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-12-2008, 01:39 AM
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlover13
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuteNCraze86
Volunteering at a shelter would not be good for you and I because there you WOULD end up taking them home as there time comes to be PTS. At a rescue you know they have a place to stay and don't have a clock ticking.
So true! If this were not a no-kill place there is no way I could go there. It breaks my heart to just think how many loving healthy cats are PTS for no good reason.
Carolines Kids even has a feline leukemia room. Those kitties are always very special to me.
i was thinking this too... i could never work somewhere that does that to cats for no good reason. a rescue though, besides wanting to take everyone home, i could do that! lol.

an old age home would ever put old people to sleep because theyre running out of room/beds... they would do everything and anything to find room and comfort for these people - animals should be given that same justice. Even old people who are in extreme terminal pain with no chance of improvement and beg for it arent put to sleep..... our society is so screwed up!
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-12-2008, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Volunteering went very well today. I got to clean up cat puke, scoop litter, freshen cat beds, give Reiki treatments and do a lot of kitty loving. There were certainly some that I know I could fall in love with but it was not a horrible, I have to get that cat out of here feeling. Part of that is because this is such a wonderful rescue. There is a senior room, two large adoptable rooms, a feral room, a FeLV+ room, and a room for very old and dying kitties where they have special care and it is much quieter. Also a clinic area for any that are contagious. A few very special kitties are kept close to the vet tech in the kitchen. There were probably about ten volunteers that arrived early and just tore into the cleaning. One retired gentleman told me he comes in every day for about two hours and just gives the cats attention. A blind teenager came in and spent time pettng the kittens. There is a vet tech on staff. All in all it was a very pleasent experience and I hope to go back and spend many hours there.

Sue

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page