*sigh* I have those new kitten-grumpy resident cat blues - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 03:44 PM Thread Starter

*sigh* I have those new kitten-grumpy resident cat blues

Not really a question, just looking for a pat on the head.

Yesterday we brought home our newly adopted rescue kitten (14 wks), and I am just starting the introduction process. It's been 3 or 4 years since we introduced Leia (our second) to Lando (the original), so I'd forgotten how much patience this process requires!

It's only been 24 hours, and the baby has been confined to his safe room (although he is READY TO GOOOOO, as far as he's concerned), and honestly, the other cats are doing pretty well, I think. I am trying to give them priority attention, and while they are both a little edgy - minor hissing if they smell kitten on me, and one or two minor incidences of growling - WW3 has yet to break out. No screaming, yowling, or hiding, and eating and playing patterns are pretty normal. The two older cats are even still coexisting as usual ('friends' is not the word I would use at any time). So that's good, right?

I know that all I can do is take it very slowly and give everybody all the attention I can. Still - wouldn't it be nice if I could just plunk him down in the living room and everybody would go nap in a big happy, furry pile?

Edited because spelling is your friend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 03:48 PM
Cool Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to mstx
Yea that would be nice. Your doing a good job!! ((((Pat on head)))))
I ws able to keep our kitten in the safe room for 2 days and then I just let her out and watched her. There was some hissing and hiding but after the first day out it was all fine
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 04:36 PM

I just went through the introductions with Jamie and Joker.
Now we're at this stage:
Joker: Come on, let's play!
Jamie: Beat it brat!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 05:21 PM
Cat

Wow... It took me well over a month before I could let Monkey out of his safe room to be anywhere near our resident feisty princess, and that was with constant supervision. It was well over two months before I felt comfortable leaving the house without separating the two while I was gone. Ours was a verrrrrrrrry lengthy introduction process, and over two years later, they still hiss and spit at each other daily, though most times they tolerate each other. I sure wish I could have gone through a one-week process and called it good LOL!

Andi
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 05:22 PM
Banned

lol Sounds like me and my brother when we were kitte... I mean kids.

You obviously know exactly what to do though, so great to hear it works.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the words of support!

Actually, an accidental encounter a few minutes ago, as I was taking the used litter from the kitten's room for disposal. He has decided he's had enough of this whole "safe room" business and went running at full tilt into Lando (the undisputed King of the House).

About fifteen seconds of stunned looking at each other, then Lando hissed and growled, but nothing serious. I swept up Obi-Wan before fur could fly, and deposited him (with some difficulty) back into his room.

This is going to be a very long couple of weeks (and he HAS to be quarantined, until I get the rest of his shelter ringworm cleared up - which is another story).

At least Lando is still talking to me - although not until I had washed my hands of That Kitten Smell.

Kitties are funny.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-12-2008, 01:14 PM
Premier Cat

Sometimes my foster kittens make mad dashes into my house from the air conditioned garage and but put the brakes on to investagate all the house cats. Theres puffy tails, slinking around, few hisses and swipes from my inhouse guys.

After a few weeks of this and waring me thin trying to get them back into the garage I give up & keep them in. Everyones had a good doses of each other and it seems to work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page