Have you ever had a strange cat... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 10:02 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Have you ever had a strange cat...

...practically beat down your door to get in?

That's what happened to me last night!

I was watching TV when I heard a small *thump* on the french doors, when I looked there was a large black cat standing with his front paws on the cill looking at me.

I was completely intrigued, so I went outside and the cat practically assaulted me wanting to be petted.

He was wearing one of those yukky foam plastic flea collars and didn't feel particularly thin but I put some food down anyway (which he attacked with a vengence). I petted him some more and went back in the house. For the next 2 hours he kept putting his paws on the glass, staring in at me, rubbing up against the doors and scratching at the glass. I felt so wicked for not giving him more attention, but with a collar on he definitely belongs to someone. I was wondering if he was lost, because I don't recognise him from the village (he looks completely different to the all-black cat which lives across the road).

I don't know what it is about my property, but this is the third strange cat I've seen in about 4 weeks (and the kittens haven't been outside yet to leave strange scents).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 10:27 AM
Premier Cat

Re: Have you ever had a strange cat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey76
...practically beat down your door to get in?
Yup. Reilly, in Washington state. We moved across town and were loading things in the house and Rei kept running inside like he lived there. I kept putting him out, telling him I had my own kitties and he needed to go to his own home.
Little did I know he WAS home...
Tuns out Rei used to live in that rental and his people left him behind when they moved. Hubby ended up taking him to his power plant with him because a neighbor threatened to take him to animal control because he dumpster dived in her garbage. At the end of the week, he brought Reilly back home with him for the weekend and I panicked, but it was amazing...all of the cats accepted him with no problem at all, and basically no introduction, either. Reilly began riding to/from work with Hubby every day.

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 12:17 PM
Premier Cat

My sister had an all white long haired cat which circled her neighborhood for two years. I started feeding it. My cat broke thru the screen to chase it away. It cried at my neighbors house at the screen wanting desperately to come in. They have a maine coon which wouldnt accept it. I took it to be spayed and shots and a volunteer with my rescue TNR group took it home. Its now adopted out and happily living as an only cat in a retired couples home.

Here is a picture of Snowball after we vetted her. She was in pretty bad shape. But now she is healty and her face has healed. We tipped her ear thinking shed have to go back out but luckily a voluteneer took mercy on her while we looked for a home.

Flea collars arent good for cats. Ive heard the Hartz ones are esp bad. Have you asked around to see whose cat it is? Apparently they arent feeding it and it wants a home. I hope you can find a home for this guy. Good luck with your efforts. He sounds very sweet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 12:20 PM
Banned

How come flea collars aren't good. We haven't got one, but we were thinking about it.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 12:32 PM
Cool Cat

Haven't had a strange cat beat down the door to get in...but she did practically wear a hole through it. Nameless, scruffy, stocky black kitten belonged to the neighbors next door...mom later said she thought the kids there were mean to her. I didn't know this, I was usually away from home at the time. She had a home, though, I did know that. But she stopped going back there, and began to wait for me. If I was outside, she was with me. Any time of day, night, or morning...if I walked out the front door, she walked out from under the benches in my garden and came up talking to me, so happy to see me. She'd stay with me, then follow me right up to the door. Never tried to come in, she'd just look at me. Halfway through the hard winter, I finally sighed and opened the door again...this time told her to come on in. So she walked in, and acted like she'd been there her whole life.

Speak of the devil, she's howling at me. What happened to my sweet kitten?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 12:47 PM
Cool Cat

Greg was a feral tomcat that I TNR'd. He spent the next three months skulking around, only coming on the porch for food when he thought we weren't looking. Then one night out of the blue, when I was setting food out, he ran right up and started rubbing on my leg and crying frantically until I started petting him.

He basically moved in after that. Within a few days he started jumping into my lap. He is now a permanent member of our family and a happy, purry lap kitty.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 01:23 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge
How come flea collars aren't good. We haven't got one, but we were thinking about it.
The chemicals destroy their fur. This is Pebbles, she was one of my cats but passed away at Easter.

I made the original post about chemical flea collars and those pictures in 2006, that was after not wearing one for 3 years. Her fur never did grow back and that would have been 5 years. Plus they didn't really work that great, they kept them at bay more than prevented.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 01:56 PM
Premier Cat

Huge my vet uses Advantage on our feral cats and cats that come in that were going to adopt out. Its a liquid you put on the skin between the shoulder blades and it does fast work at killing fleas. Plus it last several months.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 02:27 PM
Cat

I have no pictures of Tommy when he first arrived, He was in such poor condition and scared that I didn't like to hassle him.
He didn't beat at my door but was spotted by my wife, peeping from behind the woodpile as I BBQed.
Turns out he'd been dumped and had lived off his wits and grasshoppers for quite a long time. He was literally skin and bone. All this and only a few months old.

We fed him for a few days outside, he spent the nights under my garden shed. Any noise at all sent him scuttling back under there.

After the 3rd day he jumped up on my knee for a few minutes as I sat outside on the patio.

On the 4th day he put his fear behind him and simply moved in.

And, after 18 months of living with us he still enjoys the odd grasshopper

Mick.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 12:24 AM
Premier Cat

All these great stories have reminded me of Snow, way last century, in the early seventies.

She didn't beat down my door, but she was a tiny white kitten yelling her little lungs out in the brush off my patio. I fed her outside for a couple of days, then she came into the house and became a sweet little house kitty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page