Early summer ... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Early summer ...

It's early summer -- time for mama cat down the street to kick into gear. I was busy making dinner a couple of nights ago when all of a sudden, both Jazz and Misha had their radar up. Sure enough, I stopped by the window and heard a faint "mew-mew-mew" -- we have yet another litter of kittens to roam the streets. Granted, they are cute, but they drive my two beyond nuts. We have some definite redirected aggression issues going on that we have to deal with every summer when there are more unfamiliar cats in the neighborhood.

My question is this -- how old do they have to be before I scoop them up and take them to the local shelter to make sure they're spayed or neutered before they're adopted? The owner of the mother cat will post a sign for free kittens in her side yard in a couple of weeks, as she does every year, at which time the kittens are free to roam about the neighborhood. I'd just as soon get them spayed or neutered and current on their immunizations and know that they're being taken care of in a reputable shelter than roaming outside and making kittens of their own come next summer.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 02:44 PM
Senior Cat

I think most people like the 8-12 week rule.

Reyna and her siblings were trapped at 5-6 weeks old while Jove and Eros are 7 weeks old. All are doing fine and didn't suffer an effects from being taken from mama at their ages. All have used a litter box without problems, have no nursing issues (on people, furniture etc) and get along with other cats, save for Reyna who dislikes female cats.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 09:18 PM
Jr. Cat

Send a message via AIM to JewelFilly
Is there any way you can pick up the momma cat and spay her? To stop this vicious cycle? I don't really know if that's legal but it might be a good plan.....

Jess

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 09:25 PM
Premier Cat

Once you go get those kittens be sure and get this mother. I would get her spayed and shots and her ear tipped. That way this cycle will be stopped. Apparently the jerks that own this cat arent going to do the obvious responsible thing by spaying her.

I know some wont agree with me but I wouldnt ask the owners. Id just have it done and then have her recover at your house and release her when she is healed. I would keep her for a week after spaying to keep her on pain meds and anitbiotics to ensure a safe spay. Then they can have their cat back.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 10:03 PM
Premier Cat

Chances are those people won't even think twice about "their" cat going missing for a few days or a week.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

We thought very seriously about trapping the mother cat and having her spayed but don't have a place where she can be kept while she recovers. I doubt that our neighbors would miss her, to be honest.

We've also thought about when the sign for "Free Kittens" goes out, we're going to make up our own sign that says SPAY YOUR CAT and post it on her front lawn in place of the "Free Kittens" sign. We keep saying we're going to do that. I think this year, it's going to be a happening thing. This is definitely getting old.

We also take the risk when placing a trap to trap the kittens, that we trap something other than the neighborhood kittens. We have plenty of skunks, opposums and raccoons that roam the neighborhood. We stand just as good a chance of trapping a critter as we do kittens. Then what?!?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 02:16 PM
Premier Cat

You just open the trap and let it go! Its easy and not a big deal.

Weve gotten other things in our trap but not very often. considering how much we trap that isnt much. One time we trapped a chihauha! The owner was frantic cuz she didnt know how to get it out. Needless to say we had a talk with her about not letting her dog run free!

do you have a garage she could recover in. Or a friend who has a garage or barn tack room she could recover in?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 02:18 PM
Senior Cat

You run that risk yes. And it's happened nurmerous times to me and the MIL. We get excited as we see the trap is shut and then go and see there's a skunk in it. We carefully open the door and get the heck out of there lol.

There are different sized traps you can get as well, but each trap needs a certain amount of weight on the trigger step to set it off.

I like the handles on these ones that can open the door.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 02:39 PM
Premier Cat

Havent tried the handle release ones. Looks easy! Nice!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 03:11 PM
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazznmisha
I doubt that our neighbors would miss her, to be honest.
I have a story.

About a month or 2 ago, neighbours of ours were having a yard sale. Well, this neighbourhood kitten (who, we knew where it lived, but we could tell that it wasnt loved and spoiled) wandered about the yard sale... some woman shopping around went "oh my gosh, what an adorable little kitten!" and the other woman running the sale went "do you want it?"

she could just tell it would have a better home with her than with the people it was living with. i only heard the story, but its just TOO funny!! lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page