Check-up at the vets and a question - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 12:13 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Check-up at the vets and a question

Pumpkin and Pepper had their annual check-up today. Pepper will need to go back for a teeth cleaning (ouch $$$) but it appears no extractions or anything major will be needed. She is otherwise perfect -- just shy of 9 lbs.

Pumpkin looks great despite all the stuff she chews up at home She dropped about a lb. and is now around 11 lbs. Finally, they have taken to eating more wet food than dry. It's definitely helped their girlish figures

Now, a question...since my cats are indoor only, I don't use preventatives such as Revolution. However, today my vet recommended something new he is offering called Profender, a single dose applied topically which works to control parasites. Because my cats do catch mice in our basement at times, he thought I might consider it.

Anyone familiar with it?

Owned by Pepper and Pumpkin RIP Snickers 8/22/00 -- 11/28/06

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 03:50 PM
Banned

Never heard of it, so I googled it, and I must say I'm intrigued. One of the active ingredients is praziquantel, which kill intestinal parasites (it's one of the ingredients of Drontal) and the other active ingredient I've never heard of, so I had to google that, too, and it's another anti intestinal parasite compound. The two together kill hookworms, roundworms, and tapeworms.

The interesting feature of this product is that it's administered topically. i.e. it's absorbed through the skin. I don't know that there's another de-worming product that's used that way.

This isn't a preventative like the other topicals you're familiar with, though Lisa, it's a de-wormer and as such is more like Drontal.

Bayer's website has all the above information and more, including a product safety sheet. It looks like it can't be used in kittens, breeding and lactating queens, and in cats with impaired liver function. In fact, reading the sheet and knowing it's a new product, I think a periodic blood panel to monitor liver function would be a good idea.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page